Seeking reccomendation for smallish light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Over the last few months I've been putting together my first set of equipment and am very happy with what I've gotten so far (e.g., Atomic Split Fins, Cobra computer, Mk16/S550 regulator and similar backup). I'm now shopping for a light (not fir night diving - just a good solid light for looking under ledges and stuff and one that can serve as a backuplight for night diving in the future). I have no idea if more or less any $20-$30 light of which I have found many, will do or if there are some (for the same or greater price - I don't care) have a reputation for being particularly well-designed. I'd love to get some suggestions.

Thanks,
Dave

I like the Underwater Kinetics SL4. It's really popular around here.. and it seems popular on the board, too. It's small, very tough, nice and bright.. the beam is relatively narrow so it's penetrating and bright. A replacement bulb and bezel is easy to find, and the light is inexpensive. It's also not very wide like some of the Princeton Tec lights that have a large circular head.. really gets in the way.

The light also seems fairly indestructable.

Tavi once bubbled...
I like my Canadian Extreme Back-up light.
I have it rigged DIR style. I'ts out of the way, but there when I want it.

I have to recommend *against* this light. It's designed as a backup light and appears to do that well. If you're looking for a light to have handy if you want to look between cracks in a rock, it's not what you want.

It takes the same bulb and bezel from a UK SL4 and runs it on 4.5 volts instead of 6 volts. This makes it more reliable, good for a backup light, but it's not nearly as bright as the SL4.

And it costs 2.6 times as much.

Sounds more like you're looking for a Dive Light which you can use during the daylight and having it as a secondary dive light during the night.

I like the UK SL4 but it blows out on my twice already even when I've cleaned it. I have now migrated to the Extreme Exposure's Scout Light which is a lot more reliable and sturdy. Cost is a lot higher but I guess when its your secondary light, its got to be reliable.

I think "not nearly as bright" would work better for me than "blown out" :wink:

Besides, when my training gets to the kind of diving where I need back-up lights, I'll already have one of them.

I highly recommend the UK SL4 light. It's very comfortable to hold, bright, and durable. Many of my friends have this light and everybody has had great success with it. And it's bright enought to dive as a primary light at night...provided the water is clear.

Thx...Doug

I agree with the Ikelites. I have one clipped to my BC and fits right in the pocket out of the way till used. The bateries lasted a long time as well.

chuckrt

Back
Top Bottom