Seeking info on Deep Blue Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcdougal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A group of us (about 8 divers) are looking into doing an AI on Utila as we have never been. Considering Deep Blue but just saw a pretty scathing recent review on TA. Can anyone shed some light on the dive op at Deep Blue? We were at Anthony's Key about a year ago and had a blast, and we are trying to avoid any unpleasant surprises. There's actually a rave review on ScubaBoard (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/370466-trip-report-deep-blue-resort-utila.html) but it's from 4 years ago. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
As far as "the girls' taking the light/money - I don't believe that. They've worked there for years afaik, it's probably a good job compared to what else is available on Utila pay-wise and the owner Shirley all lives on-site and wouldn't tolerate that.

Our experience was completely different. Most times we couldn't even tell they'd been in the room - except the bed was made. Deep Blue is sort of isolated and across the mangrove lagoon from town so all access is via boat so it's not likely that anyone else went by either. I would've left several hundred U.S. in the room all week also - no need for it except for settling at the end.

I agree with everything published in the SB trip report. One difference is that in March there were a lot of bugs. Swarms of them at the dive dock at dusk while heading out to night dive - even with Off all week I went home with about 50 bites.

Edited - see post below.

Last edited:
I went with a group of friends for a week the summer of 2014. I had a great time, but I would not rank it as high as the 2011 review that you linked to.

I am not sure of which T/A review you are referring to, but I took a look at the most recent lower ones, and I see they mirror my experience to some extent. It seems to have deteriorated, because one of them states that there is no deep blue boat, that they had a rented one. Do consider that we typically only see "one week snapshots" and maybe the boat was out of service that week of the person's review. The boat we had was their boat, and it was a decent boat. The dive masters we had were really good guys, and the boat captain was really experienced. The service people were really accommodating.

I agree that better managed the resort could be FABULOUS. It needs some deferred maintenance issues corrected. The owner's mom seems to run things with a very strict low budget. I imagine, because of that, the food was monotonous to some extent, but the tiramisu was great.
I disagree with the reviewer saying there was no shore diving. If you asked for additional tanks for shore diving the service people would bring tanks for you to the retention wall, and you could leave the empties there. More than once we asked to be dropped from the boat on the house reef on our way back, and they accommodated this.

I have never stayed there.
I tried to several years back and they were completely unresponsive in helping me plan my trip.
I went else where.

YMMV!

i have always found the deep blue dive op to be very professional and the accommodations basic but clean and well maintained. however, if you're looking for a little bit more luxury but still a well run dive op and similarly priced, you may want to consider utopia resort. its about a mile west of deep blue (closer to the cays) and new ownership has spent the last six months revamping all the rooms & common area's, adding a pool etc. etc.
another thing to consider is renting one or both of the lovely rental homes on treasure beach (the coral house and the pineapple house). you'd have your own private beach (much calmer and more snorkel friendly than at deep blue or utopia) and utila cays diving a very well regarded dive op will even pick you up right from your beach everyday. from treasure beach you can explore the uninhabited cays by kayak for snorkeling and picnics and you're close to the fishing village at pigeon cay which is interesting.
and if you really want to get away you could rent your own private island, little cay and sandy cay have cute homes and are available for rent, utila cays diving will also pick up from there.

My family of 4 and I did 11 days at Deep Blue over the Xmas Holiday. Here is the real scoop: The resort itself is very nice with a fantastic location if you want quiet and seclusion. You can get a boat ride into town almost any time and then get a taxi from the dock to the "town" itself. The rooms are basic but functional. There are some maintenance needs, but nothing out of the ordinary for a Central American location. The food is OK...sure it is a little repetitive, but you are not paying for a 5 star gourmet meal plan. The place has tons of potential and at one point in the past was probably fantastic.

But where Beep Blue really falls short is ironically is their dive operation....there isn't one. Steve was one of the owners and Shirley's son, who has moved back to Europe due to health issues. That leaves Shirley to try and run the entire place.....which is impossible. There were some questions about the Deep Blue Dive Boat (Wall Nut). That boat is on the dock with no engine and it looks like it has not been sea worthy in a very long time. Shirley contracts out to the Laguna Resort for its boat, captain , and dive masters. There is not a resident one of any of these people at the Deep Blue.

The tanks used by Deep Blue are very old and the ones we had were filled by Laguna as well. When we got them hooked up to BCD's in the morning they were all at 1500psi. Their rental gear is terrible and dangerous as well. My sons 2nd stage reg blew out at 70 feet....there was a hole in the diaphragm you could stick your finger through. I rented our DM's spare reg for the rest of our time there. Of the 5 BCD's rented by my kids and the Canadian crew that was with us, 3 did not hold air. There were also no wet suits to rent. So several divers went to town and bought one at a local dive shop.

Now with that all being said, if you have your own gear it does not really matter. But if you are looking to rent gear,,,,beware.

The Laguna dive crew, Captain Kerry and Josh the DM were 1st rate. We could not be happier with them. They try to help Shirley as much as they can. But the reality is that Shirley is stuck there with a huge operation that she physically can't run by herself. It is also quite evident that Shirley has a cash problem. We found out that her son Steve (not on location any more) gets all the booking money and sends his mom Shirley what ever he wants for her to run the operation.....which I can tell you isn't enough.

It is really sad because as I mentioned, this place has a ton of potential but a cash strapped, 78 year old, non diver just can't run a dive operation. So if you don't mind not having rental gear, or a resident dive master, or boat captain, this place is OK. IF you are a diver who can take care of yourself, this place is OK. What you need to find out before you go is: Who is the DM and what resort is he coming from. Who is the boat captain and what boat will he be driving. What type of rental gear is available from some where else...DO NOT rent equipment from Deep Blue!!!!!!! It is dangerous!!!!!

I really wanted to give this place a great review, but I just can't. As a stand alone resort it is OK. As a dive operation it has to get a grade of D+ at best.

Sad to see how it's declined...

and it looks like it has not been sea worthy in a very long time
It kind of looked like that in the water also though...LOL

sad to hear that about deep blue, it was the first place we ever stayed on utila, 8-9 years ago. i pass by in the boat several times a week but haven't dropped by in 2-3 years. poor ms.shirley. their skipper swin was the best whale shark spotter on the island, i assume he's out of work now?

We almost booked there, until we read the TA most recent reviews and ran away fast. Sounds like a place in decline with messy management with the mom and son deal. We went with Utila Lodge based on the data we found and price point. I will post a trip report after we get back...wish I was there now.

I was there 3 years ago and can't say enough good things... Of course it was a once and a lifetime trip
as my wife and I had the entire resort to ourselves.
Could be we got in at the head of the decline....
Rooms were good, food was good, diving was great!
Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwXJF8qgFXo
However after reading the above that is disappointing. Steve's health problems were evident when we were there. Slept all day
and drank ALL night. Sad state of affairs there.....

Back
Top Bottom