Seeking Fastest Path to Normoxic Trimix Certification (70m) – Experienced Diver, Traveling to Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clem_bonna

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Scubaboard community,

I am looking for the fastest and most efficient path to get my normoxic trimix certification (70 meters), or equivalent to the one offered by FFESSM/CMAS (French Federation of Underwater Sports). I am open to any diving agency (TDI, GUE, IANTD, SSI, PADI, etc.), but I want to avoid extra courses or expenses that aren’t absolutely necessary to reach this goal.

Here’s a bit about my diving background:

• PADI Divemaster/DSD leader with professional work experience.
  • Nitrox certified.
  • 60-meter air diver (3-star diver from FFESSM/CMAS).
  • 50-meter commercial air diver (scientific) currently operating in Saint-Martin (FWI)
  • I have around 350 logged dives overall.
Unfortunately, local dive centers where I live don’t offer technical courses, but I might be traveling to Florida soon, and I’d love to take advantage of that to complete the certifications I need to move forward.

Any suggestions or guidance on how to proceed, particularly in terms of agencies and Florida-based dive centers would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

You can't avoid expenses where Helium is concerned.

I went the IANTD route with a very good instructor

Advanced Recreational Trimix (ART) two days theory plus five dives as well as half a day with other water skills.

Normoxic Trimix five days diving with eight dives beyond 50m

Hypoxic Trimix in four days with four dives beyond 60m

All of the above on OC ($$$ for Helium). I had reasonable gaps in between the courses and lots of practice with doubles. I'd need to check my logs, but I had:

1,238 dives when I started the ART course and 1,379 dives when I started my Normoxic Trimix and over 1,500 dives when diving Hypoxic mixes.

My advice is not to rush these courses otherwise you're like going from OW to AOW in nine dives and thinking you know everything. Planning deep trimix dives takes time especially on OC.

It will be an advanced nitrox and then normoxic trimix plus course with iantd. So 2 courses, no more are needed. And there is no need to wait between the courses according to standards. So you can finish 1 and start the next one directly.

If you want the easiest and cheapest way, don't do advanced recreational trimix before the normoxic trimix course as you need more helium fills.
As instructor I get this question about helium costs quite often and before I teached more ART, but now people choose the adv. nitrox course instead of ART and then move on directly to normoxic trimix.
The technical diver only goes to 54m on air, so does not bring you up to 70m.

The prerequisite for normoxic is adv. nitrox OR ART. So you can choose. ART is some dives more, and you need helium, so in your case I would advice adv. nitrox.

Advanced nitrox is since a week to 45m. And minimum of 120 minutes bottomtime needed with a minimum of 4 dives.

Out of curiosity, what’s driving the urgency?

NM…I read your post more thoroughly. Sounds like it’s simply the narrow time window you’ll be in Florida with access to tech instruction.

Reach out to Ken Sallot, (he is on this form) he can answer this question.

Hello Scubaboard community,

I am looking for the fastest and most efficient path to get my normoxic trimix certification (70 meters), or equivalent to the one offered by FFESSM/CMAS (French Federation of Underwater Sports). I am open to any diving agency (TDI, GUE, IANTD, SSI, PADI, etc.), but I want to avoid extra courses or expenses that aren’t absolutely necessary to reach this goal.

Here’s a bit about my diving background:

• PADI Divemaster/DSD leader with professional work experience.
  • Nitrox certified.
  • 60-meter air diver (3-star diver from FFESSM/CMAS).
  • 50-meter commercial air diver (scientific) currently operating in Saint-Martin (FWI)
  • I have around 350 logged dives overall.
Unfortunately, local dive centers where I live don’t offer technical courses, but I might be traveling to Florida soon, and I’d love to take advantage of that to complete the certifications I need to move forward.

Any suggestions or guidance on how to proceed, particularly in terms of agencies and Florida-based dive centers would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
TDI Trimix would require just 4 dives using Trimix (2 deeper than 40m), plus a day of classroom and paperwork. So 3 days minimum.

what is your need for oc normoxic? with the cost of helium, OC normoxic is also falling out of favor these days and a switch to CCR if you are planning to do a lot of diving involving trimix should be considered.

Out of curiosity, what’s driving the urgency?

NM…I read your post more thoroughly. Sounds like it’s simply the narrow time window you’ll be in Florida with access to tech instruction.
Do you reed urgency? I don't. This diver already has a cmas 3* cert, this means 60m on air. He now wants to do it a little bit more according to modern standards. But I don't read rushing.
I did all my techcourses in 6 months (or 6.5), this was from advanced rec. trimix to full cave to full trimix. Oh and it was just 18 months after my open water when I finished my full cave course (dive 390) and just 24 months after my open water when I finished my full trimix and did my first 100m dive (103m, dive 521).

So I am a little bit allergic to people who think that others are rushing, do things too fast, etc because you don't know details. If I just mention 18 months after open water full cave, you would say impossible. If I say I have 374 dives and start my full cave course, nobody is complaining. Same with full trimix, just 2 years diving means too fast, over 500 dives means this is ok.
Also a lot of divecenters and instructors don't know that the cmas 3* is a divemaster cert, but also a 60m on air cert. This diver can go directly to an IDC from padi, ssi, iantd, tdi, or whatever. But can also do deep air diving.

Even now I am instructor, I understand some reactions about the negative 'zero-to-hero' or rushing or going to fast, but I also know that not everything is 'zero-to-hero' if you don't know details. I ask students about the amount of dives, about the difference in dives, about the divetime under water, etc. And I also try to make a 'let us know each other dive', to know if something is realistic in the wishes of a student.
And not every diver is the same. Even if standards of minimum dives are met, some are not ready to move on, others are.

And also the question about the cheapest way is for some people a negative aspect. I understand that and don't understand that, I did the same when I wanted to do technical diving. I just made a calculation about the least needed certs/courses and the fastest way to reach it. I only did not choose for every course the cheapest instructor. Is that wrong? No, it is just possible according to standards. I had and have the opinion never to do courses that don't bring me further or deeper. So I did and I still understand when divers have the same opinion.
But I have also seen that some divers better can slow down or do something extra. I only do not want to make this as standard. So where a students asks for a allowed shortcut because they have done their homework and know what is really required, and he is able to do it the way he thinks he can do, and it is not against standards, why not do it? If the student is not able to do it, then advice what will be the best way. But don't advice things that are not needed please without knowing the diver. I see this too much. An example is requiring a sidemount cert for technical courses. This is not required. So let the diver show his skills, and then decide if the sidemount course is really required. Same with a drysuit cert when diving in a drysuit, this is not true. And the cavern course can also be skipped in a lot of cases. The ccr normoxic can be skipped if you are already oc full trimix diver and there is a technical cave crossover from oc to ccr and no complete course required.
Are you a cert seller or a trainer and instructor? You don't need to work for free, you can ask a good price for a course, but being a good instructor is also being a person to look at the student and then decide what is best. Prejudices are not bad, but don't let them guide you. And if you act right, there is a chance that you sell a course that is not required, but just because the diver trust you in your way of teaching things.

TDI has a TMX-75 course that you could take instead of normoxic trimix in case that you need a card that says 75m (standard normoxic trimix is 60m). So ANDP -> TMX-75, two courses.

Trimix_75m -

Depending on what diving you have been doing so far, you might want to talk to the instructor about any gaps - e.g. not sure if FFESSM/CMAS teach doubles or handling stages, so you might be able to get through certain parts very quickly and but get stuck in others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom