Seeking destination suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowDidIGetIntoThis?

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'd like to squeeze in a 9 day trip (less 2 for traveling) in late Nov. / early Dec. Had a great time in San Pedro, Belize last year and was going to try Roatan this time. The quiet town / relaxed topside lifestyle is something I quite enjoy. The complication (?) is that I'd like to take the wreck course while on the trip. Roatan does not seem to be noted for its wreck diving. I'd prefer to find a PADI 5-star shop for the instruction, but am open to recommendations in that regard too.

Is Florida warm enough at that time of year? I live relatively close to cold water so have no desire to go somewhere that is going to need more than a 5mm wet suit Have also considered Bermuda, simply because it has lots of wrecks, but the users of this website don't seem to have a very high opinion of it.

Somewhere in the Caymans, perhaps?

T.I.A.

HowDidIGetIntoThis?:
I'd like to squeeze in a 9 day trip (less 2 for traveling) in late Nov. / early Dec. Had a great time in San Pedro, Belize last year and was going to try Roatan this time. The quiet town / relaxed topside lifestyle is something I quite enjoy. The complication (?) is that I'd like to take the wreck course while on the trip. Roatan does not seem to be noted for its wreck diving. I'd prefer to find a PADI 5-star shop for the instruction, but am open to recommendations in that regard too.

Is Florida warm enough at that time of year? I live relatively close to cold water so have no desire to go somewhere that is going to need more than a 5mm wet suit Have also considered Bermuda, simply because it has lots of wrecks, but the users of this website don't seem to have a very high opinion of it.

Somewhere in the Caymans, perhaps?

T.I.A.
Nothing wrong with using a PADI 5-star shop but there's no reason I can see to prefer one. Realize that designation is just a PADI marketing thing rather than any indicator of quality. It pretty much means the shop paid the dues, and is limited to only doing PADI certs.

Cayman isn't really a big wreck diving destination either, the few you might see are of the busted up pile variety rather than something that still looks like a ship (with the exception of the Tibbetts on Brac.) Of course you don't need a lot of wrecks to do the class, only if you want to see a variety of wrecks too.

Most peoples problems with Bermuda is that the water is colder and most detractors arent really wreck divers. For Wrecks Bermuda is great.

Curacao could be a nice place for a wreck course as well.

If you want to travel further go to Vanuatu, You can certify on the President Coolidge and dive it for a week without seeing the same section twice.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Aside from Vanuatu, which deserves much more time, considering the travel distance and cost, they all look like locations worth checking out in more detail. I'll get at it.
Wayne

For warmer water, you might consider St. Thomas with a sidetrip to Tortola or Virgin Gorda in the BVI's. There's at least a dozen wrecks off St. Thomas and there's the Rhone in the BVI's - their signature wreck dive.

The Rhone is divable from either St. Thomas, Tortola or Virgin Gorda. It's a great dive, pretty intact for being 100+ yrs. old, but not exactly complex, pretty much anyone can dive and swim through it.

From either Tortola or Virgin Gorda in the BVI's it's a 1/2 day trip, from St. Thomas it's all day as you have to clear customs and immigration both ways.

Another sweet thing is that they have fast ferries between St. Thomas, Tortola and Virgin Gorda. No more than an hour or two one way. So you can go between the islands quickly without having to burn a dive day because of flying. If you schedule it right, you can even leave Virgin Gorda early on Saturday and get back to St. Thomas in time for an afternoon flight - two in our group did.

Blue Island Divers lists all the wrecks on their site:
http://www.blueislanddivers.com/divesite.htm

Chris Sawyers does the Rhone from St. Thomas and I think they're PADI 5-star. http://www.sawyerdive.vi/index.htm

In the BVI's I totally recommend Dive BVI. They dive 4 wrecks including the Rhone, Chikuizen and two others. They're Padi 5-star. And really nice, accommodating people. www.divebvi.com

HowDidIGetIntoThis?:
I stand corrected. Thanks. How late does one dare leave making reservations for late November?

12 hours have already gone by.

Today is a new day. Call 800 282-8932 and ask them.

I was in Roatan in August 2006. We stayed at Anthony's Key, which is a 5 star PADI resort. We love it! There were two wrecks on the north side to dive. One was about 120 feet below, which was a large ship sunk specifically for recreational diving about 6 years ago. The other wreck was a smaller boat, just right off Anthony's Key. I liked that one better, because the 2nd half of the dive was back on top of the reef. I love watching the fish. There were 2 divers with us one day taking the wreck course. I hear the diving on the north part can be rough, but in August the waters were calm and the diving was beautiful. I am not sure about the winter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom