Go to Location for Winter Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@KathyV @tmrqs i looked at both the locations. The total cost was more then i want to spend. We are already going to roatan for summer, so i don't really want to drop another 6k for the both of us.

@living4experiences Thanks for that tidbit. I checked when school started again for my gf and we have until the Jan 23rd. I'm going to change the trip to early to mid january instead. The prices are MUCH better.

@ibj40 Can you provide a diveshop i can research for Cabo San Lucas? How much is it usually?

@drrich2 read a bunch of your posts. Thanks for the content. Warm would be 78+. 80-84 preferred. I'll do 80 without a wetsuit, but my gf will need a wetsuit. After a lot of research, we were thinking just Coz. However, Utila would fit the budget better and we've never been!

@MaxBottomtime We like shore diving at home, but hauling the gear is a bit exhausting. The bigger problem is our dives are ~30 mins each since my gf's lips will turn blue... Got to switch her to a drysuit.

@Johnoly we were in key largo earlier. The conditions were so bad the cancelled while at sea. When we were able to dive, we didn't see much. It was pretty dead. I don't know if we were unlucky or what.

@UtilaSarge Thanks for your post. Do you have any rec? We are thinking Alton. Couldn't find a diveshop that also had shore dives

Chainsaws are $165 at Home Depot. Even the little guys can cut ice.

Joking aside- Your $2k budget will be likely impossible starting in 2023 with impending fuel issues.

We’re all in for a huge change in the equation. Go now.

We started going to Cabo as an easier access to Pacific diving than Costa Rica (which we have done twice).

Prior to going to Cabo, the predominance of our diving had been in the Caribbean, primarily either Cozumel or the Riviera Maya.

For the first two Cabo trips, and now for our third, we will be diving with Manta Scuba.

The first trip, we did three days of diving, first day diving Pelican Rock and Land's End; second day two tanks on the corridor; third day an extended trip to La Paz to snorkel with Whale Sharks, and one tank at Los Islotes and the Seal Lions.

For the second trip, we also did three days, substituting a two tank Cabo Pulmo trip for La Paz.

This trip we will only be diving two days, which will consist of Pelican/Land's End and two tanks on the corridor.

For both November trips (one and two) the water temperature was high 70's/low 80's. I wear a BARE 5mm Velocity, my wife dives a Henderson 3mm.

Visibility for both of the November trips wasn't quite Caribbean quality, but close.

@KathyV @tmrqs i looked at both the locations. The total cost was more then i want to spend. We are already going to roatan for summer, so i don't really want to drop another 6k for the both of us.

@living4experiences Thanks for that tidbit. I checked when school started again for my gf and we have until the Jan 23rd. I'm going to change the trip to early to mid january instead. The prices are MUCH better.

@ibj40 Can you provide a diveshop i can research for Cabo San Lucas? How much is it usually?

@drrich2 read a bunch of your posts. Thanks for the content. Warm would be 78+. 80-84 preferred. I'll do 80 without a wetsuit, but my gf will need a wetsuit. After a lot of research, we were thinking just Coz. However, Utila would fit the budget better and we've never been!

@MaxBottomtime We like shore diving at home, but hauling the gear is a bit exhausting. The bigger problem is our dives are ~30 mins each since my gf's lips will turn blue... Got to switch her to a drysuit.

@Johnoly we were in key largo earlier. The conditions were so bad the cancelled while at sea. When we were able to dive, we didn't see much. It was pretty dead. I don't know if we were unlucky or what.

@UtilaSarge Thanks for your post. Do you have any rec? We are thinking Alton. Couldn't find a diveshop that also had shore dives

If you are looking at Baja or Mexico in general, I’d look at the cost savings of using CBX down here in San Diego. The domestic flights in Mexico are dirt cheap, have cheaper baggage allowances, etc. I’ve used it a few times and will continue to do so for my Mexico travels.

For Cabo San Lucas look at Manta, Dive Ninja, or Dive Cabo. I’ve used Manta, talked to Dive Ninja at length at the last LA scuba show, and know others that have used Dive Cabo.

I’d say check Rosarito or La Paz as well, but the gulf can get cold in the winter (at least San Carlos does).

I’d consider looking at Playa Del Carmen maybe if you haven’t done the Cenotes. In my humble opinion PDC > Coz. But I was underwhelmed by Coz, I know many love it, but it didn’t move the needle for us.

Late fall / early winter is the best out here. Once was able to see the whole Yukon from just shy of the surface (maybe 5-10 ft down?)!

If I were after 78+ in late December, I'd aim for as far south as I could get, such as Curacao, and even then, you might be slightly cooler. I'm not saying the northern Caribbean is cold; IIRC, on a cruise stop in Cozumel one January years ago I think the water temp. was 76. Not sure what Utila temp.s are likely to be.

Shore diving, while available, is not the focus here as boat diving is so easy and ALL around the island. We have 13 dive shops here on the island. Some better than others. If you want more on that, just ssend me a pm and we can discuss. :wink:

If I were after 78+ in late December, I'd aim for as far south as I could get, such as Curacao, a
We usually don't see temps below 80 till Feb/Mar and even then lowest I saw last winter was 79°. This in St Croix of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom