Go to Location for Winter Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

napDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm in LA, California. Looking to go diving somewhere warm for the Christmas break. I was wondering if people had a "go to" dive destination? Warm, decent viz, not breaking the bank for the trip. What locations do ya'll like? Cozumel seemed like one of those places.

I was looking at SEA and it was ~1.5k a flight per person, so it's cost prohibitive. We just did Cozumel for the first time during invasion. And we will be doing Roatan for next year invasion.

I'm thinking about the Caribbean/South America or Cozumel again. I'd like to be cost conscience for the trip, but willing to go up to ~2k max all in per person. Thanks!
1665376283976.png

1665376627087.png

I'm in LA, California. Looking to go diving somewhere warm for the Christmas break. I was wondering if people had a "go to" dive destination? Warm, decent viz, not breaking the bank for the trip. What locations do ya'll like? Cozumel seemed like one of those places.

I was looking at SEA and it was ~1.5k a flight per person, so it's cost prohibitive. We just did Cozumel for the first time during invasion. And we will be doing Roatan for next year invasion.

I'm thinking about the Caribbean/South America or Cozumel again. I'd like to be cost conscience for the trip, but willing to go up to ~2k max all in per person. Thanks!
View attachment 747782
View attachment 747783

Christmas week may already be booked up at many popular dive vacation destinations, but when you say "~$2K max per person" does that include airfare? If it does then that may be difficult to find.

If it doesn't include airfare then you might want to look at some of the All-Inclusive packages offered by the Clearly Cayman/Reef Divers resorts. They have locations on Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac, and Little Cayman and some of their packages start under $2K.

Here's a Cayman Brac package that might work for you for $2K. It includes accommodations (based on double occupancy), 3 meals per day, 3 dives per day, and airport transfers; but you would have to pay for airfare to Cayman Brac:

Bonaire may offer other options but I haven't been there for awhile so perhaps others can advise you.

Reactions: Doc
You'll probably be paying the highest prices of the year just because it's Christmas, so staying under $2K will be difficult. I'm in the process of booking a trip to St. Lucia for the end of January to mid-February. Airfares are a killer deal right now. Portland, OR, to St. Lucia for under $500 round trip. I already got the flights. Now working on the hotel and dive op. Their rainy season is in the summer, so it's a good time to go.

You might consider Curacao, although December is their rainy time. When I was there last December, it rained a bit but nothing that was terrible. A couple days the viz was low, and with cloudy skies and low light, the reef was not always lit up. Stay away from Sunscape resort. It was awful.

Have you considered Cabo San Lucas, or elsewhere in Baja California?

I would bet airfare is pretty cheap.

We've been twice in November, when the water temps are the highest, and the visibility has always been great.

We're heading down there in two weeks, for our first trip since COVID.

I was wondering if people had a "go to" dive destination?

Warm, decent viz, not breaking the bank for the trip. What locations do ya'll like?
You've been to Cozumel, have a Roatan trip planned, and probably want somewhere else for a budget trip in the high season.

How 'warm' does that water need to be? Are you one of those people who wears a 3-mm or 5-mm wetsuit no matter what and just doesn't want to need a hood and gloves, or do you want 'bath water' water water where you're happy in a shorty, dive skin or just swim trunks and a t-shirt?

Bonaire is pretty warm that time of year. I've had 2 budget-focused trips over the years. You might find Wed. - to - Wed. airfare a good deal cheap; it saved me a LOT of money on my last trip.

Bonaire at Dive Hut 2012 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bonaire/432576-solo-diver-dive-hut.html
2022 Trip Report Bonaire Trip Report - V.I.P. Divers/Aqua Viva Suites

willing to go up to ~2k max all in per person.
If you manage to pull that off, please post us a trip report on ScubaBoard with a budget breakdown.

I'm thinking about the Caribbean/South America or Cozumel again.
Cozumel is seen as a value leader in the region for total trip costs. Dive with Martin is a reputable budget dive op.; there are a range of budget accommodations.
My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip - My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip
Tres Pelicanos & Casa Mexicana, Cozumel Sept. 2018 Report - Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexican Trip Report Sept. 2018

Any chance this Scuba Club Cozumel special could work for you?

November 1st - December 20th, 2022
Special

5 Nights
4 Days of Diving
2 Meals Daily (Breakfast and Lunch daily)
Unlimited Beach Diving

$575 per person plus tax in double occupancy​

Travel dates: November 1st – December 20th, 2022
No other discounts apply. Subject to availability.

If you have to leave by Dec. 20th, probably not.

December in Utila is usually beautiful!

Warm, decent viz, not breaking the bank for the trip. ..........but willing to go up to ~2k max all in per person. Thanks!
Have you thought about Key Largo ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom