Seeking advise from the Pros

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup training to be a PADI DM. actually i had no idea what i was getting myself into when i first signed up. I just took up a packge that covers everything from adv to DM. sadly thats measn i have very little experience. I don't even have my own equipment.

Wow I didn't know they would do that. Nothing bad on you but I'm not sure thats a good idea..

In one of your posts you mentioned a wireless transducer. That wirelessly transmits the tank pressure to a wrist mount computer. That's what Air Integration is.

in fact i did not even know what a DM is suppose to be back then. (about 4 years ago) i thought its another rating or something. haha i am almost done already. finished my exams . all i left are the practical sessions. I figured i am just another free labour for them .

Dayang:
btw what is air integrated? what does it do?

AI means the computer also has the ability to read your air pressure, either through the HP hose for a console or via a transmitter for a wrist mount.

As the role of a good DM is to tutor and mentor other divers, you may want to rethink your experience level and DM training at this point.

MD

ah i c. thanks for the explaination. I was advised against getting a wireless system. something about the transudcer spoiling easily with all the rough handling and such.

I won't be an active DM in the long run. just wanna complete the course and go on to technical diving. found out i am really not the customer oriented kind of person on many of the training trips.

any webpage where i could get a good estimate of the equipment prices?

It's not really a big issue. If you lose your connection that easily you should get a different model. You just have to remember that the transducer has a battery in it, which naturally must be replaced for it to continue working. Do a search on here and you will come up with all of our little (and not so little) arguments of which is better.

I recommend a wrist mount no matter what kind you get.

Thanks for mentioning that you want to do tech diving in the future. That makes it a lot easier to suggest things.

Having read that, I recommend that you seriously consider a backplate/wing/harness system. Basically that is what was shown in the pictures I linked you, it's a steel or aluminum plate with a channel for your spine, which bolts to a wing, bc for non-techies, with bolts and wing nuts. The system is held on with 2" webbing, which is extremely durable. And it allows for a completely custom fit. They are the same as or cheaper than most BCs, and here's why you should get one:

Right now with single-tank diving, you would get a single-tank wing. This is a small, compact wing that wraps around the tank and supports it. Then, when you get ready to do techical diving with doubles, you simply buy a doubles wing that will bolt onto your current backplate/harness and away you go. And you can get backplates in a variety of weights, from 2 pound aluminum to 12+ pound stainless. This helps with your trim since you get some weight off of your belt and spread it evenly over your back.

By going ahead and getting a BP/W (that's the abbreviation for them) now, you'll end up saving a lot of money by not having to buy another complete setup for tech diving.

If you're going into tech, I would steer you away from the AI. (I know, I know, I just talked it up, now I'm knocking it down.) Brass SPGs seem to be more durable for tech diving. Generally, here's the setup for a tech dive (deco, doubles, penetration):

Doubles wing
Backplate
Harness
wet/drysuit
weightbelt if needed
two regs on the doubles, one with inflator and backup reg, the other with drysuit inflator and primary reg.
Can light, 2 backups
wrist mount computer, compass, backup bottom timer/depth gauge, all wrist mounted
slate and backup slate with deco plan and backup plans
reel, spools, lift bags, and a few more odds and ends.

So basically, you can cut down your 'move-to-tech' price by getting the things that are rec and tec compatable now. As a side note, all this stuff can be used for non-tech dives too. Can lights are great for night dives and looking in holes (imagine a car headlight on your wrist). And all the other stuff works fine too.

Hope I haven't confused you too bad.

Here's some websites with pricing and info:

www.halcyon.net
www.oxycheq.com
www.extreme-exposure.com
www.covci.com
www.fifthd.com

And quality used equipment is always delightful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom