Seeking advise from the Pros

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dayang

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am from singapore. I have just got my fins(Volo) and mask. now i am waiting to get my other gear right. I was recommended the following pls advise.

Transpec II, travel wing
MK 25/S600
R190
Sealion SPG
Stinger

I was thinking of getting an Air2 instead of the octopus. Is that recommended? my dive instructors seems to think that Air2 is not as reliable. The reason they recommended me this set up was bcos i wanted to do technical diving in the future. any ideas?

You would probably be slightly better off for now with an Air2, since it is a little bit similar to having a short-hose backup reg bungeed around your neck, while you breathe from your other, longer hose reg, which then you would donate to a buddy in an OOA drill or situation. However nothing is written in stone, for scuba.

I would not get an Air2. Or any inflator-mount backup, for that matter. It's not the switching mouthpieces thats hard (you should be able to do that and more with your eyes closed, in current, and while freezing your butt off, all while holding perfect depth, IMHO), it's the fact that the inflator is too short to give you good mobility while using an Air2. And, having a medium-length (not long, not short) hose on your primary to facilitate donating can be uncomfortable and hazardous. I would suggest either getting a standard rec setup, with normal primary and long backup, or a DIR setup with long primary and short, necklaced secondary.

I guess the Transpac is pretty good, I've never dove one but people like them. Good choice on the regs. I don't know what an R190 is...... guessing it's a backup reg.

If the Sealion SPG is good quality, that will be fine. I suggest putting it on a 24" hose (it is 24" isn't it, DIR guys?) and clipping that to a D-ring on your left hip. It's out of the way and easy to read.

Suunto is a great company for computers, and the Stinger is a nice computer.

The Volo's are very nice fins, a bit pricey IMO, but they're good for people with weaker legs/ankles.

What are your plans for diving in the future? If you plan on doing Nitrox, or technical diving, go ahead and buy stuff that will work with that when you get ready to do it. The biggest money waster is "oh, I'll upgrade when I decide to do that..." Of course, looking at your gear it all looks good for that, the Stinger is Nitrox/deco compatable, and is nice and small.

Bravo, for once a person that made a lot of good choices!!!

teknitroxdiver:
.... I would suggest either getting a standard rec setup, with normal primary and long backup, or a DIR setup with long primary and short, necklaced secondary...

So the short answer is that you would recommend the octo, since he/she is not even certified yet.

Thanks for the reply.

I am currently doing my Padi DM training. Will be doing lessons on Nitrox next. maybe not with Padi. I actually wanted as little hose as possible. that's why i opt for the air2 and maybe even a wireless transducer. (coupled with the Viper i think.) But i heard a lot of negatives comments from my instrs. They flavour simplicity and the traditional octopus is the way for them. how about the mosqito instead of the stinger? Was thinking of saving some cash ....

I would think that having a medium length hose on the primary would create some problems. It's reaching out for entanglement, and it could make the reg uncomfortable by pushing on it. If you do get the Air2, I suggest getting a full-length long hose for the primary. That way, you've still got a sufficient lenght of hose to donate, and it's out of the way instead of sticking out in the breeze. Basically, what you have with a long hose is a 7' hose that goes down your right side, behind the wing (BC) and in front of the tank, then it turns the corner at your hip and hooks under a pocket or you tuck it under the waist strap, then it comes across your chest from lower right to top left, loops around the back of your neck, and then into your mouth. Of course, PADI may not like that too much, but I guaruntee you will, and your buddy will too if he ever needs to get some of your air.

Not to offend you, but your statements kind of conflict. If you want air integration your not really going to be saving much money in that department.... the mosquito seems to be a good computer if you dont want AI, though.

Here's what a backplate/wing setup looks like with a long-hose setup:

http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/view_photo.php?set_albumName=equipment&id=singlerigfront

Another:

http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/view_photo.php?set_albumName=equipment&id=diverfront

The long hose in use:

http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/view_photo.php?set_albumName=equipment&id=diverfrontshare

This setup also provides a much cleaner, neater setup. It reduces drag so you use less air and don't have to work as hard.

Wow thats something they don't teach in class haha. I was actually referring to saving cash by buying a cheaper dive computer. mosquito instead of stinger. what is AI? I got it from my dive opertor that the mosqito is intended for females . true? another reason for Air2 would be that with lesser hose would it not be harder to entangle?. With a primary hose coil round the body like the pictures u sent me wouldn't it make it easier to entangle? if the reg is coming from behind the neck and than twisted towards the mouth wouldn't it casue more resistance on the hose since the angle is more acute. Hee lots of questions here. Sorry as i will be putting in close to 1500 USD on all those stuff.... money is hard to come by as a reseach student ha

Dayang:
Wow thats something they don't teach in class haha. I was actually referring to saving cash by buying a cheaper dive computer. mosquito instead of stinger. what is AI? I got it from my dive opertor that the mosqito is intended for females . true? another reason for Air2 would be that with lesser hose would it not be harder to entangle?. With a primary hose coil round the body like the pictures u sent me wouldn't it make it easier to entangle? if the reg is coming from behind the neck and than twisted towards the mouth wouldn't it casue more resistance on the hose since the angle is more acute. Hee lots of questions here. Sorry as i will be putting in close to 1500 USD on all those stuff.... money is hard to come by as a reseach student ha

AI is Air Integrated. You're a DM in training, huh?

It would be very difficult to entangle a properly configured and routed long hose.

MD

AI=air integrated. I don't know about it being intended for females, I guess it could be since it's a smaller profile than most computers, more like a Timex than a computer.

It can be an entanglement hazard if you don't do it right. If you've got it set up and routed correctly, the hose should lay flat against your body until it gets to the back of your neck, where it goes straight out and makes a loop kind of like on a regular setup, possibly a little bit smaller of a loop.

The Air2 could be good for you, it really depends on what a person likes. Have you ever dove one before? If you haven't you should see if you can borrow one or rent one. I got to use one for one of my training pool dives, and I didn't really like it.

Hoses are fairly cheap, so you could try the medium-length hose on your primary (that's the length the shop will put on when you buy it) and see how you like it. If you don't like how it works out, you can get them to put a long hose on it for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom