Seeking advices about a trip in Oz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Air One

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are planning a trip next year in eastern Australia.

We will go in february, will land at Sydney and then go ! ...for only 3 weeks...
We are 5, my wife, me and 3 girls : 16, 14 and 8.

There are so many things to do and to see in this huge country.:11:

I'm not attracted by the GBR in the North, but much more by the very typical OZ diving : diving with the grey nurse sharks, with the sea lions and trying to see a leafy seadragon.

So, the idea is to go between Seal Rock and Forster, then drive across the outback to Adelaide and Kangaroo Island, and then back to Sydney by plane.

February is your summer, I think that it could be quite warm around Broken Hill and Mildura, I'm not sure that this is reasonable, but I'm very attracted By the Australian Desert and I've been walking few times in the Sahara.

I'd be very please If I could have some advices.:)

Hi Erwan
Nice to hear you are about to grace our shores, shame the reef doesn't excite you tho I do understand what you are talking about.

You have certainly listed some great diving in the spots you have mentioned. I have only dived Seal Rock on you list. February is our summer and the route you are taking via Broken Hill and Mildura will be extremely hot, the scenery and drive from Melbourne to Adelaide along the coast is a Natural Treasure with lots of possibly of diving on the way.

hope you enjoy your trip, and remember always swim between the flags.
:)

Yes, the great ocean road is probably something to do.
But I'm coming from Europe, if you follow the coastlines from Norway to Greece, including the islands, you will see that we have few very nice roads like this one, different, but also awesome.
I come back from the Philippines and I have been few times to the tropical seas, that's why I won't go to Queensland this time .

I want to see something different, very different. I will find it in Australia, I'm sure of it.

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean about the flags ?:confused:
Is that a local joke :Dor do I really have to avoid to swim when there are no flags ? In fact, I NEVER swim between the flags...but I can change my way of doing.

Last edited:
We take our beach safety very seriously here in Oz. The majority of the people that we have to pull out of the surf are tourists. So stay safe :D

Feb is a good time to holiday as school holidays are over and the ferals are back at school plus accomodation prices should be more reasonable

ive not dived them (yet) but i believe the Leafy Sea Dragons are about 2hrs drive from Adeaide

oh, and watch out for drop bears

Feb is a good time to holiday as school holidays are over and the ferals are back at school plus accomodation prices should be more reasonable
Yes, I first wanted to go in Dec/Jan...five mn on google and I changed my mind ( now I know what peak season means !:11:)

but i believe the Leafy Sea Dragons are about 2hrs drive from Adeaide

I should stay on Kangaroo Island and probably not that much in Adelaide, the only town we should visit during few days is Sydney ( Sydney...what else ?:)).

I don't really know where is the best place to see the leafy sea dragon...if there is a "best" place...

Back
Top Bottom