Seeking advices about a trip in Oz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh, and watch out for drop bears

:rofl3::rofl3:

Yea gotta watch them.

Anyway, sorry I don't know much about traveling in Australia as I have done very little, but I have heard *great* things about Kangaroo Island from other divers. And as mentioned, Feb is a great time as it is going into the off season as everyone is back at work and school so things will be a lot cheaper and it is still really warm.

Air One:
( Sydney...what else ?).

Melbourne! :p It's waaay better than Sydney... We have great diving too, but yea, not well known for Grey Nurses and Leafy Sea Dragons :p (though there are heaps of weedy sea dragons).

Melbourne! :p It's waaay better than Sydney... We have great diving too, but yea, not well known for Grey Nurses and Leafy Sea Dragons :p (though there are heaps of weedy sea dragons).

Melbourne ?
What's that ? Isn't it in the south of France ?
Wait a minute....
Oh, sorry ! I was confusing with LI-bourne !:)

Hem...well, yes ! Melbourne also, of course !

The weedy are quite easy to find , aren't they ?
I hope I'll see few of them.

If you're into some different Aussie diving, and Grey Nurse is high on the list, two spots i'd recommend. Please note Sealies is great also, and not to detract from that, but.

1) Laurieton (Bout an hour North Of Forster/Sealies) Great wreck in about 39m as well as the newest Commonwealth Marine park set for Grey Nurse at the Cod Grounds. This is where im from originally, and February should show some pretty darn good diving, normally its our good season.

2) South west Rocks, about another 40 minutes further north of Port Macquarie/Laurieton. Not only abundant Grey Nurse, but a true ocean cave (which is awesome on its own right, and generally great diving. Try and do the Pinnacle there, usually good for some awesome pelagic action.

Hmm, i'm starting to wonder why i moved to Brisbane when these used to be my local dive sites!

Cheers,

Steve

for the 8cents per litre govt rebated cheaper petrol... thanks the the GST raised by sydney-siders :shakehead:

Indeed, though, compared to Northern NSW, ie Port Macquarie area, you would be surprised how little the difference in price is (Especially is you're silly enough to by fuel up here after Wednesday afternoon when the prices jump 10c/Litre overnight :shakehead:)

And i must admit, i do miss the Grey nurse, and easily accessible and comparatively very cheap diving.

Hmm, i'm starting to wonder why i moved to Brisbane when these used to be my local dive sites!

That's a good question !
Thanks for the advice, I've never heard about Sealies ( strange name !), but I heard about Southwest rock. Forster and Seal Rock seams to be

and easily accessible and comparatively very cheap diving.

Yes ! I saw that also ! Very cheap compared to Kangaroo Island, or the GBR....well...i'll have to dive more ! :( :)
Which dive op do you know in Forster ?

oh Come on guys, Brisbane is a great place for diving,
Stradbroke Island has a number of wonderful dive spots with Manta Ray and Grey Nurse Shark. One hour drive south and your at the tweed river for drifting or Cook Island.
Two hours and you end up at Julian Rocks in Byron. Four hours and your in Coffs Harbour and all their wonderful sites. One hour North of Brisvegas and HMAS Brisbane, three hours and Hervey Bay and Fraser Island.

I had my own boat and could take two dives in the morning and still get to work by 12.

I will admit if I ever was going to live in NSW Forster would be the place.

...I've never heard about Sealies ( strange name !), but I heard about...Seal Rock...

I think you'll find "Sealies" is, in fact, Seal Rocks.

Also, don't neglect diving in Sydney. You can see Grey Nurse sharks here too, along with Weedie Sea Dragons (also very cool), octopus, and quite a variety of sharks.

*Awaiting the scolding from Mrs A

Z...

Thanks ! I was desperately seeking for Sealies on google earth ! Without any succes of course...:D

Also, don't neglect diving in Sydney

Very true, but I suppose that there is so many things to do in Sydney that I will neglect ( didn't knew that word) diving.

Yes but : my 16 yrs old daughter is right now in Sydney, she just had her OW course. The weather seams to be quite bad at the moment, but in case of, are there good winter diving around ?
She is actually in Chastwood, could you tell me if there is a nice dive op near there ? Considering that she has nearly no diving experience.

oh Come on guys, Brisbane is a great place for diving,

All right ! all right ! Anyway, it's probably a little bit better than Normandy : viz = 1 to 15 m, water temp 5 to 20°, raining every day, and windy most of the time. You're a lucky guy ! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom