Security

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jafo123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just wanting to know of the people here that fly with there gear do you still pack your dive knife with all the new security and scanning going on?

Jafo123

Jafo123:
Just wanting to know of the people here that fly with there gear do you still pack your dive knife with all the new security and scanning going on?

Jafo123

In checked luggage and never had a problem.

I see nothing to indicate what part of the world you live in...but cdiver2 is correct. In the USA you must put it in your checked luggage. Go to the TSA website and do a search on scuba gear and you will learn just about everything but a knife can be taken on board.

One big change to policy is.....no more transportation of pony or dive bottles at all...in carry on or check in. That torques me....just shows they know zip about dive gear and dont want to learn or dont care about service. Duh....what am i thinking...

Another thing I heard recently was to not have anything in yoru carry on that has a retractor - like a dive computer. The retractor cord could be used as a weapon they said, to strangle someone. I know, ridiculous as it may seem, it is what we must live with right now.

I got my 13cft pony to Coz in Feb on AA. In my checked baggage.And back! Going to Utila in 43 days with the pony. Will let you know what happens on that trip.

There is nothing in TSA regs http://www.tsa.gov/public/ to prohibit knives in checked bags; they'll even allow spear guns.

On the other hand, while there is a TSA prohibition on carrying scuba tanks even in checked luggage, and foreign security agents checking flights to the U.S. are supposed to screen luggage by TSA standards, but - they seem to be honoring the respective airline's rulings. I flew to Roatan & back in July, California in August, North Carolina in October, Cozumel twice this winter, and Miami last month - all with a 19 cu ft pony bottle, and no problems. Didn't even remove the valve, as most airlines don't require that.

Maybe someone convinced them that pony bottles are not scuba tanks? I have no idea, as I'm not asking, not telling...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom