Securing your regulator, spg and other hoses.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

^^^ This. Long hose in open water is a waste of rubber. A bungee necklace is easy, cheap and it works well.
IMNSHO a shorter hose than 150cm/5' requires a 90 degree L between the hose and the regulator. With a moderately long hose, you can wrap it hog style, you don't have to have your buddy within kissing distance, and there isn't more hose than you need to reach around your neck.

MHO, YMMV etc.

I have an atomic reg set (T3 primary/B2 octo) and use a Halcyon BP/W setup (but am not a tec dover). I have the B2 on a snorkel holder as someone else mentioned earlier - I loop it through itself to secure it to my upper right D-ring and then stretch the open loop around the mouthpiece of the octo. That secures it well and it will release easily if needed by just grabbing it and pulling (might even break, so I keep extras in my bag).

I keep my SPG secured to a D-ring with a bolt snap tied to the swivel with cave line. I used to keep it clipped to my upper left D-Ring for ease of viewing but, since I got the Perdix AI, have moved it to my lower left D-ring as it is more for backup.

Last edited:
^^^ This. Long hose in open water is a waste of rubber. A bungee necklace is easy, cheap and it works well.

I'll have to disagree with that as there are actually some real benefits to it.
I think 5' hoses are a waste of rubber, but 40" with a swivel, 36" without a swivel, or 7' with or without a swivel is not a waste of rubber.
Main advantage of the 7' hose is that you can spit the regulator out without it falling down and getting hung up somewhere.

Long hose in open water is a waste of rubber.
Well, that's an inaccurate statement as well. I dive a long hose in OW for consistency's sake. Everything you can do in an overhead environment can be done in OW without a problem. The converse is not true. That applies to techniques, gear and even attitude.

Everything you can do in an overhead environment can be done in OW without a problem. The converse is not true. That applies to techniques, gear and even attitude.

No argument there, but I never dive in caves, and rarely in overhead wreck environments and if I do, I am almost certainly diving solo. The long hose for me, is in fact, useless.

but I never dive in caves, and rarely in overhead wreck environments and if I do, I am almost certainly diving solo. The long hose for me, is in fact, useless.
That sort of defines one of the differences between you and I. I always consider my buddy obligations a serious issue

That sort of defines one of the differences between you and I. I always consider my buddy obligations a serious issue
I'm not sure I follow but if you are suggesting I don't care about my "obligations" to my buddies, I'd love to know how you came to that conclusion.

My buddy is most likely to be my wife, so I take her safety extremely seriously. If she had an OOA situation, I want her face to face with me, with me holding her harness and looking her square in the eye. There is no need for several feet of extra hose. Not that it would cause any problem, but it does nothing to help either.

My buddy is most likely to be my wife
My buddy might be my son, or a random club mate. I'd be lying if I said that I'd be as concerned about the random club mate as I'd be about my son, but in principle I'd be just as concerned about my buddy obligations if I were diving with a random club mate as if I were diving with my son.

I know. I'm not consistent. But the principle stands.

But the principle stands.

I don't disagree that diving with a loved one is a whole other thing, however, I'd like to know how you came to the conclusion that i don't take my obligations to my buddies seriously... regardless of who the buddy is.

I rarely, almost never, dive with random dive buddies, so everyone I dive with gets my due attention if that is the plan. When the plan is a "same lake, same day" buddy pair, then we are both diving as solo divers, and are equipped as such and in the appropriate state of mind.

I guess I enjoy wasting rubber then...lol. I tried multiple configurations before I settled on the long hose. It's what I have become very comfortable with. Is it always necessary to have the long hose? No, probably not. But it's what I've trained in and what I like.

But hey to each their own if you have the right gear for the job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom