securing a spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naimis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently went diving off Grand Cayman and took my finger spool on the dives. It fell off twice, though I managed to retrieve it both times. I had been fastening it to my gear using SS bolt snaps, but after losing it twice, I'm looking for a better alternative.

On the first occasion it came off, the bolt snap was attached through the small holes in the spool. On the second occasion, I threaded the line through one of those holes and snapped the bolt onto the line. Both times, the spool came off the bolt (the bolt stayed on me).

Any suggestions as to better (more secure) methods for attaching the thing so I don't find myself trying to deploy my bag without the spool?

I secure mine the same way you were. I suspect you have either a boltsnap that doesn't fit the holes well, too much line on the spool, or both.

In addition to what Blackwood suggested (where too much line on the spool is often the problem), I find it also helps if you attach the bolt snap so the opening faces away from the line (thus keeping the lever away from contact with the spool).

Last edited:
You might also try winding the spool a little lopsided, with more line on the side your are not attaching the bolt snap to.

... or you have a problem with the bolt snap ... either the spring is sticking, preventing it from closing all the way, or you purchased a bolt snap with one of those "squarish" shaped triggers that can open itself when it swivels against the spool.

Look at the trigger on this one ...

Compare it to this one ...

I've found that when I use double-enders with triggers shaped like the first one, I sometimes find they self-release ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I suggest putting it in a pocket on your suit, clipped off to a loop of bungy.
Or buy plenty of extra spools, because you'll lose them if you don't stick them in pockets.

I secure mine the same way you were. I suspect you have either a boltsnap that doesn't fit the holes well, too much line on the spool, or both.

It's probably too much line. There's enough line on the spool that it's a bit of a tight fit to get the bolt snap through the spool holes. Good suggestions from everyone.

I hang reels off my butt D-ring and I've never had one come off. I did have a lift bag come off my butt-D ring a few months ago and never could figure that one out.
You can actually twist a bolt snap and pop it off. The area where you usually pull down on bumps against something else with a bit of pressure applied and off it goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom