Secure your cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prop Joe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
There seems to mto be a perpetual stream of people losing their cameras while diving Cozumel. l'm amazed at the times people lost their cameras while diving in current. I have been using a lanyard on my camera of some kind since I started diving in 1999. If I'm not hunting, I have my camera clipped to my BC. My camera rig is part of me and I feel naked diving without it.. There have been times in current, deploying a SMB, or other situations where it is essential that I clip off my rig close to my body. My rig could be mistaken for a used car for what I have invested in all of the equipment. Even if you have a Gopro, do you really want to lose it? Clip it off and don't worry about it. I usually have the Catecea extended unless things are "sporty", Then I clip it off, close to my body. I have it clipped (3' extended mode) to me even when handing up my rig at the end of the dive, then just un-clip from my BC when handing up the rig. My rig is 4 lbs negative and I have NO desire to chase it at the end of a dive after a missed hand-off at the gunwale. Just a suggestion for all people carrying camera rigs no matter how big or small. Clip it off or you may lose it. Pick lanyard.Brand, model, color, but clip it off you and you can thank me later.
This one when extended goes about three feet and six inches when clipped to its self. It has saved my bacon a few time because I don't have to worry about the rig and can concentrate on things at hand. I do not work for these people but the thing works. Essential piece of equipment for me.
10-22-17.png

For GoPro's the best method I have found is to attach a solid knot at the housing main attach fitting and then fashion a small loop. Use the free loop to to clip it to a chest D ring with a double ender. This is the most secure method I have found, in the water. I have watched several be lost due attaching them to a selfy stick lanyard which pulls loose. When exiting, hand it up, it can be easily snagged on the way out.

I have a wrist strap PLUS the style of strap in your message. I use both starting the moment I hit the water until I hand it up to someone on the boat. I also have a name & address sticker inside the housing AND contact info on every memory card when traveling & the volume label for the memory card is my email address. My rig is neutral so if it gets free it won't sink nor head for the surface instantly.

We use this. the magnet makes it easy to pull out for a shot and then easy to secure closer to you. The salt water eats the magnets sooner or later and we get a new one. I tried the clip ones, but it was too much fulling around for me to hook and unhook. $21 Magna-Clip with Coil Lanyard & Brass Clip

AQUMCLB.JPG

I suspect getting on the boat is when many gopros are lost. That and when you are trying to stuff it in a pocket and miss the mark. Once lost the current makes going back to look a nogo for the gopro.

I suspect getting on the boat is when many gopros are lost. That and when you are trying to stuff it in a pocket and miss the mark. Once lost the current makes going back to look a nogo for the gopro.
I was with a group diving the Hyde out of Wilmington recently. One of the guys on the boat lost his GoPro just as he was getting onto the boat. Fortunately, another boat from the same dive op was just starting their dive and one of their DMs was able to go down, find it, and bring ut back up to the owner. Very fortunate.

There seems to mto be a perpetual stream of people losing their cameras while diving Cozumel. l'm amazed at the times people lost their cameras while diving in current. I have been using a lanyard on my camera of some kind since I started diving in 1999. If I'm not hunting, I have my camera clipped to my BC. My camera rig is part of me and I feel naked diving without it.. There have been times in current, deploying a SMB, or other situations where it is essential that I clip off my rig close to my body. My rig could be mistaken for a used car for what I have invested in all of the equipment. Even if you have a Gopro, do you really want to lose it? Clip it off and don't worry about it. I usually have the Catecea extended unless things are "sporty", Then I clip it off, close to my body. I have it clipped (3' extended mode) to me even when handing up my rig at the end of the dive, then just un-clip from my BC when handing up the rig. My rig is 4 lbs negative and I have NO desire to chase it at the end of a dive after a missed hand-off at the gunwale. Just a suggestion for all people carrying camera rigs no matter how big or small. Clip it off or you may lose it. Pick lanyard.Brand, model, color, but clip it off you and you can thank me later.
This one when extended goes about three feet and six inches when clipped to its self. It has saved my bacon a few time because I don't have to worry about the rig and can concentrate on things at hand. I do not work for these people but the thing works. Essential piece of equipment for me.
View attachment 431790
I've go that exact lanyard. works great.

Back
Top Bottom