The short life of my AOI UMG 01

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GirlonFire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was so excited to finally have the AOI magnifier and I loved it. The issues I have with it are the way it connects to the housing and the clip that “secures” it to the housing.
I found it did not secure very well. A small movement would dislodge it from the viewfinder.
I always double and even triple checked it before a dive.
Also the clip is too dainty in my opinion when compared to the weight of the magnifier.

As a result, on its first dive trip(the very last day) I happened to look down and it was gone. The clip did not hold and there was no obvious damage to the remaining 1/2 of the clip.

Has anyone else had issues with this?
I am very ocd with my gear and the fact the loss came after worrying about the security of both attachment points leads me to believe there must be a better solution.
IF I reorder one, I may replace the clip with one more robust.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

• 0B04E131-216E-4C4F-BD4F-E80F6BBC3DD3.jpeg
    0B04E131-216E-4C4F-BD4F-E80F6BBC3DD3.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 37
That is what the string attachment is for. I use both the magnifier and the 90 degree finder and ALWAYS have them attached to the tray with the string as shown in the picture.
Bill

That is what the string attachment is for. I use both the magnifier and the 90 degree finder and ALWAYS have them attached to the tray with the string as shown in the picture.
Bill
The string clip was always used. That’s why I question the durability of the mechanism.

The string broke or the clip came undone? I just did a pull test on mine, can't break the clip but the string might break or more likely the rubber ring the string attaches to on the magnifier might rip. Just hung 5 lbs on mine, perfectly secure.
You must have had a bad/cracked clip.
Bill

The string broke or the clip came undone? I just did a pull test on mine, can't break the clip but the string might break or more likely the rubber ring the string attaches to on the magnifier might rip. Just hung 5 lbs on mine, perfectly secure.
You must have had a bad/cracked clip.
Bill
Very possible.
I always checked the connection on both the string clip and the housing connection before a dive.
Just disappointing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom