Secure Areas in Airports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh:
Got this idea from someone else. Used zipties to close luggage. On the top of everything had note in red letters, 48 type size with zipties taped to it.

Dear TSA or Customs Official:

Could you please use the attached zipties, or ones used by your agency, to reseal this item. Thank you so much for the work you do.
Sincerely,
Martin & Julie

A little cheesy but they did it and two inspectors wrote notes on the sheet wishing us a happy vacation.

Most baggage handlers carry penknives... The TSA locks are a better alternative but still no guarantee...if they want it they will get it.

Baggage handlers get paid bupkis to do that job. I am never surprised when things go missing from my luggage.
I like MJH's suggestion.

True Security is a joke.Most would not be willing to give up the CL to become secure, and even then you couldn't count on that at all. As was oncesaid, "A man willing to give up his life to take another can not be defended against". I do believe this to be true, however when it comes to Airport security, think about holiday travel and the complaints people have about the long wait times.
I do believe we could secure the airports, but then people would bit%$ about the time and effort it takes to get through security, not to mention the privacy issue when they start looking into your background.

SueMermaid:
Baggage handlers get paid bupkis to do that job. I am never surprised when things go missing from my luggage.
I like MJH's suggestion.

bupkis?. Take it from someone that has done the job and seen someone going through baggage it not much of a deterrent.

Dennis...

On a trip to Roatan... The TSA opened my pelican case... breaking the "TSA approved locks" and left one of the chords to a battery charger hanging out of the case... thus breaking the wires. SO LAME! At least it all made it there... I was able to repair the chord.

So... I guess it's hit or miss.

Diver Dennis:
we are no better off, airport security wise, than before this "War on Terrorism" started.

Hear that.

Man, through his ingenuity, has made it from the depths of the sea to the face moon and negotiated all the challenges of time. Complete security a is a dream and the desire for such a thing, as futile as it is dangerous.

I travelled into the U.S. recently and it was just sad to see people in the immigration cues arranged by colour - for added security.

What you may and may not bring aboard sometimes seems more like dramaturgy than anything else. Lighters, pen knives and deodorant, apparently are weapons of mass destruction. Pens, portables, phones and other gadgetry are not. Imagine what the flight attendants might bring aboard. I have relations in the industry and you don't wanna know. It's such a show but the added awareness sure makes you feel on edge.

I've managed to get a pair of pliers in my handluggage out of egypt because they were pressed for time. Just had to promise to tell the pilot. I also once smuggled a machete from Indonesia to denmark via singapore "hidden" between my fins, no questions asked - and after 20 hours of flight I look like a member of the bear gang.

Tragedy was never averted by control (but i'd still hate to loose my camera).

vondo:
Can these TSA locks be used on international baggage?

It would all depend on where you are going. Palau, Yap... there is no TSA, the airline staff check your bags while you are standing there. A lot of the Island destinations are like this.

cdiver2:
It would all depend on where you are going. Palau, Yap... there is no TSA, the airline staff check your bags while you are standing there. A lot of the Island destinations are like this.

I would much rather have it this way here in the U.S. than the current system. It was, in fact, that way right after 9/11 here at our local airport. The TSA screeners were set up right in front of the check-in counter and screened your bags as you checked in. They also allowed you to put your locks on the bags after screening them.

Now you just toss your bags on the conveyor belt and start praying. I've been flying back and forth to L.A. quite a bit this year and so far have had bags show up at my destination missing the TSA locks on three different occasions. The interesting part is that there was no notes in the bags from TSA saying that they had been inspected like there usually is. This leads me to suspect some baggage handler cutting the lock off to have a peek. So far, I've been lucky in that nothing has come up missing, since one of the bags was my bag full of dive equipment.

Edit: fixed a typo

I've managed to get a pair of pliers in my handluggage out of egypt because they were pressed for time. Just had to promise to tell the pilot. I also once smuggled a machete from Indonesia to denmark via singapore "hidden" between my fins, no questions asked - and after 20 hours of flight I look like a member of the bear gang.

Tragedy was never averted by control (but i'd still hate to loose my camera).[/QUOTE]

Are you suggesting that it's ok to not play by the rules, and that anarchy is ok? Ok anarchy is a little strong, but "Tragedy has been averted by oversight, and control of certain actions and behavior.

Back
Top Bottom