Secure Areas in Airports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just want to know what we can do to protect our stuff. If we put locks on it, they break them. If we zip-tie them, they cut them off. I have never heard of the shrink-wrapping, that is something I would be interested in.

I know we should never use dive bags with logos or stickers on them as that is like a flashing neon sign saying steal me. And I can't carry on all my gear. I carry my computer, camera, and reg's, but that's about all. Good thing I have insurance on all my gear I guess. I just would like some way to protect it all, so I don't have to go through the hassle of finding new gear when I get to my destination. Coming home, if they want to steal something, I wouldn't be as upset cause that would mean new gear for me. But my insurance would go up, and I don't like that idea.

Maybe I will get my pilot's license and just fly myself everywhere. Yeah, that would solve everything.

I agree RadRob. Secure areas in aiports should be just that. Then we wouldn't have to worry about using dive bags or Pelican cases.

Diver Dennis:
I agree RadRob. Secure areas in aiports should be just that. Then we wouldn't have to worry about using dive bags or Pelican cases.

how safe is your home? I would bet just the same as everyone Else's home...reasonably secure.... but homes get broken into every day. Banks get robbed every day. You and the banks could do a lot more to tighten security you cold make them into a fortress. How much are you willing to spend and how much inconvenience are you willing to put up with.

I think for the amount of bags that go through airports every day theft from them is minuscule.

My wife and I have traveled all over the world for years. Two dive bags one pelican case (with stickers all over it) inside are three cameras, six lenses, two strobes, one UW housing and assorted other photography equipment. I have NEVER repeat NEVER lost anything, but TSA has opened it every time we have traveled.

I do think you are looking at a mole hill and seeing a mountain.

That is the other part isn't it CDiver2, I travel every week on business, I regularly check bags with various things in (including Dive gear) and have never yet had anything disappear from any of my bags.

I've also only ever heard of one person having something disappear (his dive knife was taken from his bag).

lead bottom:
I didn't realize you could fly from Miami to Cuba. I've always heard that you had to go from a no US Terr. Curious

*you* can't, but I can. I am a Cuban American with family in Cuba. My non Cuban husband and I can travel to Cuba legally. Used to be able to go every year if I wanted to but with the new crack down it's now limited to once every 3 years I believe (barring family emergencies). Flights leave several times a day from Miami on chartered flights from Continental and a couple of other airlines.

If you aren't Cuban or know someone who is, you generally don't know this.

Back
Top Bottom