Secure Areas in Airports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey:
In my opinion, stealing from passengers is wrong regardless of how much money you get paid. Firefighters and cops don't get paid a lot in many cities. Does that mean that it's OK for them to steal from the victims when nobody is looking? It happens. But it's not right.
Paying people more money to keep them from stealing is wrong. What kind of message does that send to the honest folk?

I'm not sorry if this offends anyone. I was raised as a poor immigrant in the inner city and stealing was not tolerated by my parents. Their integrity meant more to them than a used pair of socks.

Who said it was ok. I have yet to see a Firefighter/cop on minimum wage. The type of people that work as baggage handlers look at them as wealthy

cdiver2:
ITS you (Joe Public ) that stops full security and all that it entails inconvenience and expense, Joe will not pay or stand for it. If you think you are inconvenienced now I would hate to have to deal with you if really tight security came in. Oh and you would probably not be able to afford a plane ticket for your next vacation.

Couldn't agree with you more.

cdiver2:
Who said it was ok. I have yet to see a Firefighter/cop on minimum wage. The type of people that work as baggage handlers look at them as wealthy

I took it as implied in a a couple of posts. Sounds like people are trying to justify their stealing by blaming it on minimum wage salary.

scubamickey:
I took it as implied in a a couple of posts. Sounds like people are trying to justify their stealing by blaming it on minimum wage salary.

If I came on strong.

What I am trying to show is your not dealing with people that value there job, minimum wage jobs are a dime a dozen. I also think if I was in the situation poor paying job house full of children and the electricity about to be cut off I may do something about it.

I have done this job and its no fun. I did it as a second (full time) job while going through a divorce, I could not live on that wage nor would I do it unless I had too.

While we are on the subject the skycap you see out front...he doe's not get minimum wage.

cdiver2:
If I came on strong.

What I am trying to show is your not dealing with people that value there job, minimum wage jobs are a dime a dozen. I also think if I was in the situation poor paying job house full of children and the electricity about to be cut off I may do something about it.

I have done this job and its no fun. I did it as a second (full time) job while going through a divorce, I could not live on that wage nor would I do it unless I had too.

While we are on the subject the skycap you see out front...he doe's not get minimum wage.

I heard somewhere, a long time ago...that skycaps actually make a whole lot of money because of tips.

cdiver2:
ITS you (Joe Public ) that stops full security and all that it entails inconvenience and expense, Joe will not pay or stand for it. If you think you are inconvenienced now I would hate to have to deal with you if really tight security came in. Oh and you would probably not be able to afford a plane ticket for your next vacation.

And by the way stealing from baggage is small compared to some of the things that is considered ok at airports.

I'm not saying , as you suggest, that we need tighter security for passengers. As you stated, the only ones that could get into secure areas are employees. As my last post said, the gaping hole seems to be at the employee end, agreeing with you. If you read carefully you will see that I think passengers and their baggage are already thoroughly checked, but if we really want security in travel we have to close all the holes.
What else does go on that is considered OK in airports?

JamesD:
I disagree with your statement that if things can get out, they can get in as well. Ignoring the hundreds of ways (I'm not aware of those, and I've never worked at an airport so I really can't comment).

But if you have a secure area, secure in that only allowed items can get in, then it doesn't matter what can get out, only things you want in there can get in. So you can pay an employee a ton of money, if explosives can't get into a secure area, it doesn't matter if the employee can take every single bag OUT of the area, if they can't get explosives in, they can't get explosives in.

Of course this is a hyperthetical secure area, it wouldn't surprise me to learn there are ways to get things into the secure area that shouldn't be there, but generally airports are secure in that only certain things are allowed in.

Security works both ways. How secure is an area that can have items stolen from it? I was not the one who posted that things can get in so many ways, but let's just say that there are no explosives. How can someone get into a bag and steal something from an area that is secure from anyone tampering with what is in there?

scubamickey:
I heard somewhere, a long time ago...that skycaps actually make a whole lot of money because of tips.

I also worked (again second job ) as a sky cap the best I ever did $180 in one evening (once) The worst $0. A lot depends on what airport, time of year and time of day for your shift.

Diver Dennis:
Security works both ways. How secure is an area that can have items stolen from it? I was not the one who posted that things can get in so many ways, but let's just say that there are no explosives. How can someone get into a bag and steal something from an area that is secure from anyone tampering with what is in there?

Without going to deep into it.
When your bag go's down the little hole it go's into a Hugh area where there a line after line of carts ( the ones you see bringing your bags to the aircraft ). The airline I worked for had two guys there putting bags into there respective carts for there respective flights. Now these guys could be told to do any number of jobs, two aircraft coming in late and one arriving on time, get out there and help unload meanwhile anyone with a security pass can enter the loading area.

I have seen a baggage handler go into a bag in the hold of a plane while he was unloading it.

*What else does go on that is considered OK in airports?*

That would have to be a phone call. not in writing

That's my point cdiver2, there really is no secure area. This is a gaping hole in airport security. We spend millions closing the front door, passenger screening, yet the back door is open, no secure baggage areas.
I have no doubt that the majority of baggage handlers by far are honest and hard working people. I'm trying to make the point that airport security for baggage is not what it should be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom