Secondary dive light - advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally wouldn't want to use a Gobe as a primary light but they would be good back ups.

Have you checked out Big Blue lights? I was pretty happy with my SOLAs but then when I saw the lights Big Blue offered for the price, I wished I had found them earlier. I just replaced my primary canister light with a VTL6000 on Goodman handle. Love it!

I have looked at the big blue lights and I do really like them, but I also like the fact that the light and motion lights are permanently sealed with no O-rings to worry about or batteries to remove in order to charge.

I have looked at the big blue lights and I do really like them, but I also like the fact that the light and motion lights are permanently sealed with no O-rings to worry about or batteries to remove in order to charge.

This is true and what originally drew me to L&M. But that doesn't mean they're immune to issues. My SOLAs worked well at first but after a while I ran into issues with charging. Even with proper maintenance the gold contacts corrode. For awhile I hassled wiggling the charger into the slits just right until it would charge. Then I started spraying gold cleaner (expensive) on them which helped a little bit. I eventually sent them in to get serviced (~$150) which helped for about 6 months until they started acting up again. So I sent my primary back to get a new body (~$175).

I'm not saying you won't encounter more or less issues with any other light, but if you do run into issues with SOLAs, it can also be expensive to repair.

As you say, the L&M have an initial lower hassle factor, some very well thought out features, and some re-assurance against flooding. But what their strength is, is also their weakness. They aren't 'magic', and they are expensive. They have 18650 cells (mostly x2), O-ring on the light head, and LED's like everyone else. The higher power ones tend to use up the battery (my Sola 1200) in a single dive -70 minutes when new. No chance to change batteries or charge if you are doing a 2nd dive. Sure, you can throttle them down, but then you may as well have a weaker light. You can buy a lot of light for what the Solas cost.

When the batteries do go, and ultimately they will which could take years depending on use and care, having them changed by L&M is expensive. I'm waiting on a battery pack to try it myself but it's a job most people would probably not take on.

(Note - my Sola 1200 uses 2150mA capacity LG cells. They are decent, BUT, for a $400 light I'm a little miffed they didn't put top end 3400mA Panasonics/Sony/Samsung in there. Light would have lasted way longer and it would have set them back probably less than $5-6.)

FWIW, I have no issue with contact corrosion at all. Rinse contacts promptly, dry thoroughly, no problem.

Last edited:
I bought a light from one of the Chinese sites a few years back for about $100. It uses two 18650 batteries. Works via radial magnetic switching with 3 power settings (led) and is bright and fairly focused.

I've never had any problems with it including no leaking. I can't see paying any more than that for my diving. I have another light I bought from the same site that uses 4 AA batteries and have a very focus but narrow beam and is built like a tank out of Delrin. I think it was about $35.

The main light has a regulated output and the backup light just gets dimmer gradually which I think is good for a backup light.

Just got two of these monsters for $42 each. Averaging 4 hours on low and 2 hours on high which is ludicrous. The picture is on low after three and a half hours of a burn test.

Attachments

• IMG_2638.JPG
    IMG_2638.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 34
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom