Where do you find burn time for Big Blue lights (in spotlight mode)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Blue’s lumens are made up, as is. You can estimate efficiency given the drivers and batteries that they are using, but you’ll probably be disappointed. I’m sure someone will come along that owns said light and will give you reasonable estimate.

Just to elaborate on what Grant said.

Basically lights fall into two categories:

#1 Cheaper lights that are not constant output with mostly made up lumen numbers (bigblue, orca, and all other cheap brands). For example, big blue 2800lm actually starts at 2.3k (so 18% lower) and then the output implodes (after 60 minutes the output is 1300 which is 46% of 2800). The same is true for every other cheap non constant output light. So they may seem cheap when you buy one, but on a ratio (that I just made up) of $ to lumen to work time they are dogshit.

That said, orca torch appears to have the best customer support and if you want a cheap light, they are the best among the cheap brands (at least the impression I got from people posting about their experience with orca on SB)

1716477313426.png

#2 Constant output lights. Those are more expensive but the output is actually what you get. If you want to save some money, avoid buying from any north american brand / retailer and just buy from the EU (gralmarine, seaya for example) or buy used.

I didnt know about the constant vs non constant output light thing until I read several threads about lights on SB. And it is something that is good to know so you understand what you are buying

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom