Secondary Air Source

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaShaneVB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Long story shorty- I usually end up diving on charter boats getting paired with an insta-buddy. These insta-buddies vary in skill, intelligence, and maturity greatly. Because of this I have decided that my next purchase is going to be a secondary air supply to make myself more self reliant.

I am definitely leaning toward a sling mount secondary air setup, because of the many threads that I have read on these forums. However I always like to purchase for the future, and don't like to buy just for the moment. So this is my question:

I'm thinking of getting a 30 cf. or a 40 cf. secondary air tank. My rational is that if I get a 40 cf. I could use it as a deco bottle if in the future I get into technical diving. However at this point I don't know enough about technical diving to know if this line of reasoning makes sense. So what size secondary air bottle would you recommend for a diver who is considering advancing his diving along with his skills and training?

I will also post this in the technical divers forum to get their opinion as well.

Go sidemount! :)

---------- Post added July 1st, 2013 at 12:03 AM ----------

Its up to you man, whatever suites the kind of diving you will be doing best. Some guys get away with a 19cf or like a 6cf and mount it like an argon system. Im a sidemount diver so I like the added redundancy. My current set up is steel 100s which is a bit excessive (I got a GREAT deal on them). Keep in mind your mounting options like D-rings.

Becoming self reliant is not achieved by equipment. Focus on your skills and training, these are the things that keep you safe.

The 40cf feet size would do fine as a deco cylinder, they are light and float nice. I use Luxfer as deco stages.

+1 Sidemount... done and dusted.

If not to your liking, then a slung cylinder is certainly a future-proof option. Size is dictated by need.

I can appreciate your desire for self reliance,and have to agree with ajduplessis. Does adding a 40cuft tank help or complicate the situation? I follow the minimalist school since my cave training was at the beginning of the Hogarthian movement,and it is always best to solve the problem with the least involved. Have you considered an H or Y valve on a single tank? Would give you a lot more self reliance,but with minimal increase in equipment needs. For the sidemounting,would it really help the situation on a small charter boat,especially when what is being used is adequate. As much as sidemount can solve world poverty, cure cancer etc, it really isn't a solution for everything.

My rational is that if I get a 40 cf. I could use it as a deco bottle if in the future I get into technical diving

I would agree with that line of thinking, AL40s are pretty versatile

The Al40 should just disappear under your arm. If you look around a little, you can find directions for sidemounting it, reducing its profile even more.

I bought my AL40 with the same train of thought. Since I intend to get into technical diving next year I opted for the AL40 over the AL30.

However, I rented both before deciding. I felt the AL40 was less noticeable underwater when slung and this was a big selling point for me.

Keep in mind, the AL40 is a few inches longer than the AL30. I've got a short torso and it can get a little bit annoying on the surface.

Long story shorty- I usually end up diving on charter boats getting paired with an insta-buddy. These insta-buddies vary in skill, intelligence, and maturity greatly. Because of this I have decided that my next purchase is going to be a secondary air supply to make myself more self reliant.

For your purposes, I think the 40cf is fine, far better than switching to sidemount honestly. Just realize the 40cf is for you, since any diver in dire need of gas will be grabbing the reg from your mouth. So leave enough in your main tank to actually do them some good...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom