Second stage for a pony - looking for recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brtlmj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a pony with a nice first stage (Apeks). I do not have a second stage (unless I move my octo, and I would rather avoid doing that).

Here's what I am looking for:
  • Does not have to be super comfortable or easy-breathing (but has to be reliable).
  • The smaller the better.
  • Has to work with 9-10 bar intermediate pressure.
  • I would prefer something that can be easily serviced by a DIY-er, with parts available and reasonably priced.
  • Inexpensive. I assume I will be getting a second hand regulator.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Bart

why do you not want to move your octo? If using the pony for either your or your buddies redundant air sources, complicating the setup with 3 second stages is not ideal. Why do you think it doesn't have to be easy breathing?

If you want cheap, good breathing, DIY service, and relatively small. It's "normal" second stage size, not the super small profiles, but those don't breathe really well, are more expensive, and the vast majority of them do not allow DIY service due to parts of availability
Store - Vintage Double Hose

Conshelf XIV. $30-50 used on EBAY. Easy to find service kits. Easy to service.

Doesn't meet your small criteria, but does breath easy and is very sturdy. My brother drove over one with his car and he still is using it.

I love my 109 as a primary second stage but find that the 109 is not the best Octo or pony regulator because the purge is pronounced and anything that brushes against it will create a bubble storm. The Conshelf has a more protected purge.

I am assuming, so disregard if assumption is incorrect! If your pony is being used essentially as a bail out for you personally, while diving solo, then I would ask, as did @tbone1004 - why not use your alternate air source/octopus? That's what I do.

why do you not want to move your octo? If using the pony for either your or your buddies redundant air sources, complicating the setup with 3 second stages is not ideal. Why do you think it doesn't have to be easy breathing?

Thanks for digging into my motivations. I have never dived with a pony, and what I think I need may well be incorrect.

You could say I think of a pony as an emergency parachute. I want it to be as comfortable as possible when not in use. I do not ever want to use it. I can accept some discomfort when I have to use it. I accept that I may end up with a sprained ankle (not sure what scuba analogy would work here). And I absolutely want it to work when needed.

I expect to do a significant proportion of my diving without the pony bottle. I could use my octo as a pony second stage, but I would have to move it between my main and pony first stages, depending on the dive. This seems inconvenient and there is always a small damage potential.

In my (admittedly *very* limited) experience, a regulator that breathes easily will also freeflow easily. My usual octo is adjustable, and I keep it detuned as far as possible. If I want to, I can make it breathe easily with a couple of turns of a knob. With the pony second stage, I would be willing to trade this convenience for price/simplicity and get one that's "detuned" by default.

Where can one get manuals/kits for the Argonaut Safe second stage? I could not find any...

Thanks!
Bart

I am assuming, so disregard if assumption is incorrect! If your pony is being used essentially as a bail out for you personally, while diving solo, then I would ask, as did @tbone1004 - why not use your alternate air source/octopus? That's what I do.
While solo diving seems very appealing to me, I am not planning to even try it before I have a three-digit number of dives in my logbook. For now, the pony is meant to be there just in case I end up with no gas (for any reason) and my buddy is unable to help.

Back
Top Bottom