Second Attempt - Seeking 2-piece wetsuit usable for cold AND warm water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brennan

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

I'm an optimist. I'm holding out hope that my previous post simply did not find the right audience. Surely, someone out there has at least heard of someone who at least tried to layer a standard shorty over/under a full suit in order to keep warm in cold water and use the shorty for warm water.

If that set-up makes for immobile shoulder joints, is a "core warmer" with it's tank-top-tailoring usable in warm water? ("Warm water" being that surrounding Hawai'i.)

Thank you in advance for all your input,

Brennan

how cold is "cold"?

i use a 2-piece farmer john, 3 mil, for diving in 70-degree water (with a 3 mil vest
and hood), and the bottom of the farmer john, with a skin, for diving in 80+
degree water (i.e. the Keys and the Caribbean)

If it were me, I'd get a thick (5mm or better) two piece; farmer john and step in jacket. Or you may try a 3mm full which is usually acceptable for "warm" water and an oversized (2xl) suit. I've layered full suits in the past with good insulation, but you're gona sacrifice some mobility and range of motion if they're too tight. You've also got to think about restricting blood flow to the brain if it's too tight around the neck. I think the choice of a thick, two piece is the better option. Technically, you're getting three suit options. If the water is still too cold, consider gloves and a hood. A lot of divers would consider a hood almost without thinking, but you can lose a lot of heat through your hands also. Leo.

I have a two piece 6mm suit that I wear together in colder water and in warm water I just wear the jacket. I've worn it in 80 degree water and felt just fine. There really isn't anything wrong with using a thicker suit in warm water. I'm not saying I would wear the full suit with hood and gloves, but you would feel fine diving in 85 degree water with a 5mm suit. No matter how warm the water is you will lose body heat.

H2Andy:
how cold is "cold"?

i use a 2-piece farmer john, 3 mil, for diving in 70-degree water (with a 3 mil vest
and hood), and the bottom of the farmer john, with a skin, for diving in 80+
degree water (i.e. the Keys and the Caribbean)

"Cold" is 40-50F. I've been diving comfortably in this water in a two-piece 6.5mm farmer john, but I wouldn't feel comfortable in either piece in Hawaiian waters.

Thanks for your input and your question.

Brennan

40 degree water is dry suit weather. If you're gona be stupid, you'd better be tough. Life has made me pretty tough.

I dive in a two piece 7mm suit in 40-50F water, and have no problems

You might be suprised how well just your jacket would work in warmer water. 25 years ago I owned a 1/4" beavertail jacket, high wasted pants, 1/8" vest, thick Hood, gloves and booties. Dove in all conditions, water temps in 70's to 40's, using combinations from jacket alone to everything. If you use the jacket alone in warmer water, opening the zipper a little at the neck if you get too warm works well.

Are you starting from scratch or trying to find an option with what you have? If you are starting from scratch I would get this combination .

Get a 7mm or 5 mm jumpsuit/steamer (long arms/long legs/back zip)
Get a sleeve less 5mm zip top.

Scubapro used tomake the combo but quit making them. BARE still makes a combo like that.

You can use the jumpsuit/steamer in Hawaii and then the combo would keep you warm enough in 50 degree water.

Good luck!

eelpout:
Are you starting from scratch or trying to find an option with what you have? If you are starting from scratch I would get this combination .

Get a 7mm or 5 mm jumpsuit/steamer (long arms/long legs/back zip)
Get a sleeve less 5mm zip top.

Scubapro used tomake the combo but quit making them. BARE still makes a combo like that.

You can use the jumpsuit/steamer in Hawaii and then the combo would keep you warm enough in 50 degree water.

Good luck!

Nearly all suits avoid doubling up on the uper arms for the sake of mobility. Some do double up but avoid 7mm materials.
http://www.cressisubusa.com/cressius2004/cat.asp?lan=uk&idc=11 Click on "Lontra 2"

My 7mm suit has been delayed so I have been skindiving in 45-55 degree water in a 5-4mm full suit with a 7mm hooded step-in vest. Many dives have been between 1-2 hours in the water.

I am finding that by keeping my core very warm and wearing 5mm gloves my arms are much more comfortable than when I had 3mm gloves and a 5/3 hooded vest under the same full suit. The gloves and extra on the core improved the arms a lot. Warmer blood flowing out and loosing less heat at the extremity. My thighs are always fine unless I'm really still for a while and while I can feel the coolness on my lower legs I'm not that bothered and menwhile my feet are comfortable in 5mm booties. If my feet were cold I'd take that as a sign.

My point is that layering can do wonders just as it does in toipside apparel. The big trick is that the garments must layer closely to prevent flushing. Dont skimp on the hand a foot protection. You may still be pushing it depending on the variables so pay attention to what your body is telling you.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom