Second Attempt - Seeking 2-piece wetsuit usable for cold AND warm water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For what it's worth - there are actually quite a few divers (mostly instructors/DM's) in Hawaii that I know using 7mil suits...

So it might be an option for ya'

Then again, I'm finding divers over here that use drysuits as well...

Aloha, Tim

When I dove HI I used a 3 mil shorty, and found myself getting chilled after about 25 minutes. It's warm water (compared to California) but it's not "Florida Keys" warm.

I use Henderson Polyolefin hotskin + 3mm John (goldcore) + 3/5mm hooded vest (hyperstreach) + 3mm step-in jacket (goldcore) in 50-62F water (12lbs. weight)
- John + Jacket in 62-70F (10lbs.)
- John + vest in 70-75F (6lbs.)
- Hotskin + vest 75-80F (4lbs.)
- Hotskin > 80F (2lbs.)

The described above combinations keep me comfortable in all conditions.

- Dive safe.

Wow!

I knew there was some expert knowledge out there! Thank you for all of your input. I definitely feel more prepared to make a decision now. This board is excellent!

Thanks again,

Brennan

So do you use you ski jacket in the summer time? No, you use different jackets and/or you layer.

I know of a few people that use various combinations of suits for different conditions. I have different wetsuits for different conditions. To each his/her own.

Just a couple little things to consider: If you are thinking about getting a new suit to go over something you already have think about:

1) Make sure that it is large enough to fit comfortably over the other suit. It may then be too big to use by itself. Just think it through carefully.

2) If your outer component has a zipper in the front, it is easier to regulate water flow if you get too warm. If you get components to work in the coldest environments that you will typically dive, and then try to use the same (or variations on the same) pieces for warmer water, it can be nice to be able to open the zipper part way and allow some water flow. That is much harder to do with a rear zipper.

Just some points to ponder.

FYI: I use a 2-piece 7mm wetsuit in Monterey / Lake Tahoe, 1-piece 3mm full suit in 65 - 73 degree water and a .5mm (1/2mm) full suit when the temps are above 73 degrees. The Drysuit is still an expense that will have to wait. Ever diver is different.

Wristshot

I am asked this question quite frequently. It is possible to have the best of both worlds. What I reccomend is a 5mm full suit with a sleeveless step-in. This is a shortie with no sleeves. You can wear both of the pieces together and then you can wear both of them separately. When I wear just the step-in, I like to wear a dive skin under it. Hope this helps.

Carolyn

Now that I use a drysuit, I have a Bare 7mm farmer john and shorty with integral hood for sale. The shoty alone is okay for upper 60's to mid 70's but would definitely be ovrkill for 80 degree water.

The ideal, IMO, combination are these three pieces:
2-pc 7mm FJ for water below 55
3mm jumpsuit for water above 70
3mm hooded vest to be used in combination with the jumpsuit for water in between.

None of these are at all expensive and will allow you to dive in almost any conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom