SeaVision Lens Composition?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marek K

Contributor
Reaction score
I see a lot of folks here are SeaVision fans.

I sent away my daughter's mask to have corrective lenses put in. It was through a dive shop in Arizona, but the mask (with corrective lenses) came back from SeaVision in Florida.

There was an instruction brochure enclosed, saying that the lenses should not be cleaned with anything abrasive -- that they'll be fog-resistant without cleaning.

The SeaVision web site says that their colored corrective lenses are made from "composite hard resin material (CR-39)." It would make sense not to scrub them with abrasives if the lenses were resin, but there's nothing about the composition of their clear corrective lenses (which these are).

Anyone know whether all of SeaVision's lenses are resin? I can't tell by like tapping these. Will they be OK, fogging-wise, without doing anything to them? How scratch-resistant are they likely to be?

--Marek

I was just buddies with a young man who had just purchased one of those masks. They *will* fog to some extent like other masks, and you will want to use something to defog them in ordinary use, but the people who sold him his mask (also a dive shop here in Arizona) were adamant that he should not use any abrasive material when cleaning the mask for the first time (i.e., the toothpaste treatment). I know this, by the way, because I was sufficiently impressed with the color correction (and in need of a prescription fix for my eyes) to consider buying one and asked about this stuff.

Their care instructions do not distinguish between the color corrective and clear lenses, so I would assume the answer is the same for all of them - don't use abrasives. I *think* they use plastic for both, but I also could not find a definite answer to that question on their website. The plastic lens is certainly more likely to scratch than a tempered glass lens, so I would be very careful of it and actually use a mask box and a cotton cloth to protect the lens when the mask is not in use.

Marek K:
I see a lot of folks here are SeaVision fans.

I sent away my daughter's mask to have corrective lenses put in. It was through a dive shop in Arizona, but the mask (with corrective lenses) came back from SeaVision in Florida.

There was an instruction brochure enclosed, saying that the lenses should not be cleaned with anything abrasive -- that they'll be fog-resistant without cleaning.

The SeaVision web site says that their colored corrective lenses are made from "composite hard resin material (CR-39)." It would make sense not to scrub them with abrasives if the lenses were resin, but there's nothing about the composition of their clear corrective lenses (which these are).

Anyone know whether all of SeaVision's lenses are resin? I can't tell by like tapping these. Will they be OK, fogging-wise, without doing anything to them? How scratch-resistant are they likely to be?

--Marek

Both the clear and tinted lenses are resin which some people hold against Sea Vision, don't they are great lenses, like all low volume masks they are prone to fogging...

I have three SeaVisions two are "gage reader" moldels, great for those of us that are getting a little older and like our reading glasses under water. The "plastics" in these lenses are very hard, I do not have scratches in any of mine. Use a non abrasive de-fog, SeaVision sells one and I hoard the stuff.

To keep down on fogging keep the mask clean! Soap and water then rinse, just like doing dishes.

I once had SeaVision replace the skirt on one of my masks, new mask old lenses. They told me they cleaned the lenses with acetone, wow tough stuff. Don't try this with the lenses in a mask or you will be replacing it too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom