Seattle adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MdkSniper

Contributor
Reaction score
OK, so I am thinking about coming to Seattle for a week or more in June and attempting to climb Mt. Rainier. Anybody have any other recommendations for stuff to do out there because the climb will only be three days? I definitely want to dive in the Puget sound to see the Giant Pacific Octopus. I'd like to know what type of suit I should bring and the names of some good dive companies, if you have any recommendations? Any other good things to do topside?

Thanks

Definitely check out Pike Place Market! We also drove through the Columbia River Gorge on the Oregon side and stopped at a bunch of waterfalls, definitely worth the trip.

BTW, not sure where you're from but we were surprised to find that in Oregon you're not allowed to pump your own gas.
Ber :lilbunny:

Hello there, MdkSniper. Welcome to ScubaBoard and to Orca Bait. Where are you travelling from? You might want to fill out your SB Profile, that will give me an idea of your taste in diving.

Yes, we have a few popular topside diversions in the Puget Sound area. What do you like to do? Where will you be staying? Are you travelling alone or bringing a buddy?

As for suit to bring? Drysuit/fleece combo or 6.5 to 7mm wetsuit. Water temps have been appx 50 degrees. Check with Bandito Charters for a nice combination of sites and great service.

Please stay tuned as we get closer to Spring, the area divers are a most hospitable group.

David

Remember that you'll have to dive after climbing or allow a day or so beforehand, but you knew that.

Welome, that's a perfect time of year to come. Lots to do, you'll want to go up to the San Juan Islands for sure. You can arrange a charter in Friday Harbor.

Be aware that Mt. Rainier park was hit very hard by landslides and flooding recently. It is closed right now and will be for quite a while, although by June I'm sure it will be open again. But I would check beforehand, particularly some of the roads and trails.

Jack

There are tons of things to do here besides climb Mt. Rainier. At least, I've found enough to keep me from being reduced to doing that :)

Depending on what you like, there is hiking, sailing and motorboating. The Museum of Flight is well worth a visit, if you have any interest in airplanes at all. We have a good aquarium as well. You can arrange tours of the Boeing plant where the 747s are built. I have six wineries within five miles of my house, and a brewery as well, and all offer tours or tasting. You can take any of a number of ferries across the Sound and explore the peninsula or the islands. And there are many, many good restaurants scattered literally all over.

There are several charter operations that run boats on the weekends (weeday charters are a little harder to come by, unless you have a group). But there is also a lot of good quality and very accessible shore diving. As somebody already siad, we're a hospitable group -- Repost close to the time you're coming, and you'll be certain to have people volunteering to take you diving.

Water temps in June will be about 50 degrees, for exposure protection planning purposes. Visibility may be fairly poor, so a light is a good idea.

We just did the underground tour, and that was pretty neat. :)

There's a lot more to see in Puget than the giant octopus. And most US divers miss it because "the water's too cold there." Balderdash. It's refreshing. See my trip report for more of my opinions, if you'd like. Pic album on my Photo Gallery.

Be advised that they don't seem to use Yoke valves on their tanks. Kirsten, Tim, and OMG I forgot the other guys name - super dive buddy and all - helped me do a fast conversion of my Reg's hoses to a DIN valve Reg of the same make & model I dive. Being prepared for that might be a good idea.

Ever dive 50 degree water? I hit 47 on one thermocline. It's worth it, but prepare well. :eyebrow:

DandyDon:
Karen, Tim, and OMG I forgot the other guys name - super dive buddy and all ...
Would that be Dan ???

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Would that be Dan ???

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
No, the first day at Redondo Beach...
:confused:

DoubleDip...?

8-31-Buddies-2.jpg

Ber Rabbit:
Definitely check out Pike Place Market! We also drove through the Columbia River Gorge on the Oregon side and stopped at a bunch of waterfalls, definitely worth the trip.

BTW, not sure where you're from but we were surprised to find that in Oregon you're not allowed to pump your own gas.
Ber :lilbunny:

I'm from New Jersey and I have to admit that I have never pumped my own gas.

Back
Top Bottom