Seasoft Seawolf Weight Harness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Locus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to replace my nylon + hard lead weight belt. My bp rides on the weights when I am on land, the lead either moves around or digs into my hips underwater, and it conflicts with the crotch strap of my bp/w. In short: I hate it.

I dive dry and am still pretty new to diving so I am using 29lbs of ballast: 14lbs on the bp (6lbs dss steel plate with 2x4lbs weight plates), and 15lbs of hard lead on the belt. I most often use a high pressure 100 cu ft tank.

Since my backplate is so heavy and the hp100 is a fairly short cylinder, I have a tendency to trim out a bit head-heavy, which occasionally makes floaty feet an issue despite my rubber paddle fins. To combat this, I have to place the cylinder as low on the rig as possible, and consequently my valve is barely reachable.

I saw the Seawolf harness in my LDS the other day and it seems to offer all the right solutions. I could wear it under my bpw without any strap conflicts. It would let me position weight lower on my thighs, which would balance out my head-heaviness and maybe allow me to move my tank up so I could have better access to my valve. Hard lead would no longer dig into my hips at depth, and on land the weight would ride my shoulders and not interfere with the bp/w doing the same.

SSTSWWH.jpg
On the other hand, at $180 the Seawolf is a pricey piece of kit. I would want to be quite sure that it would work as I think it will before I shell out for it.

Are there Seawolf users out there who would like to comment on whether my take on it is accurate? Would it solve these problems? Are there pros or cons that I have not considered? Is it overkill to get a harness like this if I'm only going to keep 15lbs or less in it?

Another weighting option is the DUI Weight and Trim Harness. It holds up to #40 of weight in 4 pockets with a rip cord weight release system. They retail for about $125.

Another weighting option is the DUI Weight and Trim Harness. It holds up to #40 of weight in 4 pockets with a rip cord weight release system. They retail for about $125.

I looked at the DUI one first, but the seasoft harness seems like it would be more adjustable and offer a better fit. DUI has no chest strap, and I read that some find the shoulder straps are prone to slipping off. Also the weight pouches look bulkier on the DUI, and if you dump the weight you have to re-thread the ripcord-style system that holds them in place, where I think seasoft just uses a clipping mechanism of some kind.

I made a harness...

Suspenders (think they came from LP), a regular weight belt, and XS Scuba weight pockets (either standard, or the "quick dump" style with the pull tab). Wife likes it. Way cheaper than some of the factory stuff, and very functional (I own a DUI Weight & Trim too). I have 4 pockets on mine. That can do 20#... because of the pockets, it goes on under the crotch strap as you dump the pockets, not the belt/harness...

Also, have you tried (if you have them), weight pockets on a lower cam band? How about a short weight belt on the bottom of the tank with weight pockets?

Lots of options that are a lot less $$ than some of these commercial systems...

I don't like the bulk of the DUI...

I made a harness...

Suspenders (think they came from LP), a regular weight belt, and XS Scuba weight pockets (either standard, or the "quick dump" style with the pull tab). Wife likes it. Way cheaper than some of the factory stuff, and very functional (I own a DUI Weight & Trim too). I have 4 pockets on mine. That can do 20#... because of the pockets, it goes on under the crotch strap as you dump the pockets, not the belt/harness...

Also, have you tried (if you have them), weight pockets on a lower cam band? How about a short weight belt on the bottom of the tank with weight pockets?

Lots of options that are a lot less $$ than some of these commercial systems...

I don't like the bulk of the DUI...

Hmm, that's something to think about.

I was using an old cam band with 2lbs of weight on my tank boot and it helped somewhat, but that was when I was using 34lbs total. Now that I've brought that number down, if I add non-ditchable lead anywhere, it will make less than half my total weight ditchable, which I would rather avoid.

What was the total price tag for your DIY harness? Do you have any pics handy?

suspenders $19.95 suspenders - Search Results for suspenders - LeisurePro
weight belt (free)
XS Scuba QR pockets $12.95 ea XS-Scuba Quick-Release Single Weight Pocket at LeisurePro
XS scuba Single Pockets $9.95 ea XS Scuba Single Weight Pocket at LeisurePro
Sliders (free)

Different XS Scuba Pockets: XS Scuba Single Weight Pocket - Search Results for XS Scuba Single Weight Pocket - LeisurePro

I've taken off the Cam buckles (don't need them to be QR), and used sliders to set the size....

No pictures. Gear is in mothballs as the ice is still holding strong...

---------- Post added April 4th, 2014 at 03:49 PM ----------

if you dump the weight you have to re-thread the ripcord-style system that holds them in place

Once on a charter with an insta-buddy I was going over gear pre-dive. I showed him the DUI harness I was wearing at that time to explain how my weight was configured. The SOB grabbed one of the loops and yanked the whole thing. Twenty minutes later after re-threading the thing, I was about ready to take a cutter to his BC to demonstrate how I would treat a situation of need.....

---------- Post added April 4th, 2014 at 03:52 PM ----------

Are you on a BP/W or something with an existing waist belt? How about just threading on a few weight pockets?

Once on a charter with an insta-buddy I was going over gear pre-dive. I showed him the DUI harness I was wearing at that time to explain how my weight was configured. The SOB grabbed one of the loops and yanked the whole thing. Twenty minutes later after re-threading the thing, I was about ready to take a cutter to his BC to demonstrate how I would treat a situation of need.

I feel your pain. I purchased a new DUI weight and trim off eBay for about $60 or so. I put it on and it fit well so of course I pulled the loops and then was like WTF. I never seen anything like that. I was lazy and just stuffed it back in the bag. I was thinking of making my own harness using the suspenders or some side mount plates and some old weight pockets I have.

Are you on a BP/W or something with an existing waist belt? How about just threading on a few weight pockets?

I could definitely do that, but one of the main advantages of the harness is the ability to position weight farther towards my feet to balance me out. I would think the waist belt would be too high, as it is higher even than my present weight belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom