Searching for advice on nice cheap motels when diving Key Largo Next Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timmerdown

Reaction score
2-3 friends are heading down for 2-3 days diving in Key Largo on the weekend of the Sept 11th.
I found a charter for roughly 45$ per day person for reef diving the Marine Sancturary, and hope for some good advice on cheap places to stay, where the accomodations aren't to dreadful. Also any other places/events to consider while not on the boat? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

As for motels, I was just down diving in key largo not that long ago, and I found that the best place to stay is not directly in Key Largo. Homestead which is about a 20-30min drive is WAY cheaper, by $40-$50 a night and up. Unfortunately I can't think of the name of the hotel we stayed at...it's like the Days inn or something. It's just up the street from the big Diver Direct store down there. It's on the main street you take to get to key largo, and it's just before you get on the road that never ends (it's the last place before the keys). I would definitely do a search on one of the hotel search engines, when we went down we saved an extra $20 or $30 on each nights stay.

It's not a bad ride to get to the dive boats down there for the price, most places in the key's are over $100. And I just can't see paying that much when I'm only staying the night there! Anyways, good luck!

Ursula

Also you might try staying a little farther south near Marathon. I can't comment on hotel prices, but I was down there just before lobster season opened. We had rented a house, and the prices for a house in Marathon were cheaper than up in Largo or down in Key West.

I've stayed in Tavernier at the Tropic VistaMotel. They have efficiencies that will sleep 2 to 3 for about 80 a night. It is just over the bridge into tavernier south of Key Largo. Upper Keys Dive Center there has always done a good job withthe diving.

Just hope there is diving to be done after Francis... I head down there in a week myself. Again, hope all SB divers on Florida's East Coast weather this one with no serious problems. Our thoughts are with you.

Dr. Bill

Timmerdown:
2-3 friends are heading down for 2-3 days diving in Key Largo on the weekend of the Sept 11th.
I found a charter for roughly 45$ per day person for reef diving the Marine Sancturary, and hope for some good advice on cheap places to stay, where the accomodations aren't to dreadful. Also any other places/events to consider while not on the boat? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
Does $45 per person include tanks and weights? Some operators charge up to $15 per trip extra for tanks. Most don't charge for weights (unless you lose them). This is the low season in the Keys. Rooms at the Ramada and Holiday Inn can be had for $69-79/nt, respectively. Remember... you usually get what you pay for. Neptunes Hideaway, Ed & Ellen's, and The Hungry Pelican Motel all offer decent budget accommodations right here in Key Largo.

As for other activities... fishing, birding, paddling, eating, and drinking are all popular passtimes here. Cheap eats are hard to come by, but Hobo's, Mrs. Mac's, and The Hideaway all serve up good food at very reasonable prices. Monday night is "free taco night" at Coconuts, and ladies drink free there on Wednesday nights. Enjoy!

Try the KeysMotel in Tavernier....place is clean/cheap and nice. it's just like 2 sec. walk from Divers City they are a good operator and the price is also reasonable.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom