Votes: 1 7.7%
  • SeaQuest PRO QD

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • SeaQuest Black Diamond

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stiebs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After an extended SI, I am getting back into diving, and still have all my gear. Except that between buying it at 17yo, and now being 27, I no longer fit into my BC.

Based on what my two LDSs stock, I think I've narrowed my choices to the five above, for the reasons mentioned below. Please do not turn this into yet another BC vs BP/wing debate.

I have done some searches for this information, but every thread has become a chore to read through because it just turns into the same argument over and over.

LDS #1 stocks Oceanic and Mares
LDS #2 stocks SeqQuest and Cressi

1. Oceanic Probe (AU$1075)
Probably my leading choice. Inner lining seems comfortable for warm water diving. Weight integrate, good size pockets, good number of stainless steel D-rings.

2. Oceanic Chute 3 (AU$1251)
Back inflate, which is why I have included it as an option. Although I'm leaning towards a jacket style, and if in the future I decide I would rather back inflate I can follow the BP/wing option.

3. SeaQuest Pro (AU$895)
Cheapest option, LDS says its they biggest selling model. Has swivel shoulder buckles (are these as good as they say they are). No weight integration, resin loops.

4. SeaQuest Pro QD (AU$1125)
An extra AU$230 for weight integration and stainless steel D-rings. Is it worth it? (I've never used a weight integrated BC before)

5. SeaQuest Black Diamond (AU$1183)
Included just as a comparison against the Chute. I get the feeling that both of these are little too techy for my diving needs. Besides, I like pockets!

Once again, apologies if I have brought up a topic that continues coming up over and over, but I have had just too much trouble finding useful information in amongst all the BP/Wing vs. BC debates.

All the BCs you list are good. I'd agree that the Black Diamond is a bit OTT if you are just a recreational diver.

I have a Pro QD+ which I'm very pleased with. It is very comfortable. The shoulder buckles really are good. I still use a weight belt but spli the weight between the belt and the BC. With 10kgs I'd put 4 in the belt, 4 in the releaseable pockets and a 1kg pouch in each of the non releaseable pockets on the back.

Can't readily remember what the exchange rate is now but a Pro QD+ can be had for UK£299.95 from Simplyscuba.

Regards

Thanks for the info Welshman.

As for the exchange rate.. AU$1 = US$0.55 or thereabouts at the moment. I checked out a couple of US based online stores, and the Pro QD seems to be going for just under the US$300 mark.

It is very tempting to order one from OS, but there's also shipping and warantee to think about as well. That and the fact that my two LDS have been very helpful so far..

Rodale's latest back inflated BCD test. It is very informative.

As for me, I use a Beuchat Master Lift Tek, back inflated BCD with 63# of lift and like it very much.

Ari

Froop

I didn't buy mine from Simplyscuba but just used it as a negotiating tool with the LDS. They sold to me at Simplyscuba price +£5.

Regards

You might want to check out the SeaQuest Balance. I've been diving one for 6 months with no complaints. It has the three-way swivels, a big pocket, and the non-ditchable back weights have done wonders for my trim.

Not as bulky as the Black Diamond & Chute.

Thank you for limiting the topic.

I have an old SeaQuest Balance that I love for warm water stuff. I use either Black Diamond or Dive Rite Transpac with Tek wings for cold water/dry suit diving.

If you are considering the Black Diamond you shouyld also look at the Raider. I just picked one up and it seems super (haven't had a chance to dive it yet). My only complaint would be the bulk, its going to be a pain to pack for Bonaire in June. You may also want to look at an Aeris Atmos XT, a very comfy BC and not too bulky.

Back
Top Bottom