Seaquest Tank band slippage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone have an on line source for Scubapro straps? I've tried searching but have come up empty so far.

Marc

I was just in my LDS. They have done a major design change on the SP strap. The tag end and velcro are now on the outside - formerly they were on the inside and pinched against the tank when the buckle was tightened down. Now there is a rubber "safety loop" that fits over the tag end to keep it in place. Probably easier to adjust now.

jagfish:
Just looked at that Apollo unit on Leisure pro. Can't quite figure out how it looks from their picture, but it looks intersting. ..Might check out Apollo webisite...

JAG

These are really great - and not too pricey at just below $60 - but if you want something that won't budge... this is the strap. And it won't grab a finger like the SP ones can if you're not careful. The only drawback to the Apollo Bio Lock is it takes a bit to size if for a different diameter tank. Not a problem for most - but if you're switching back and forth between say, 100's and 80's - you would not really enjoy this much...

As far as how it works.. it's really straight forward. You just grab the little handle, and tighten the screw. It's threaded into the two metal pieces and draws them together. When done, you flip the handle down so it can't come undone.

I have a Seaquest Balance, and my tank does occasionally slip unless I'm very careful about the set-up. I wet out the band and then ratchet the buckle while maintaining tension on the free end of the strap in order to maximize pre-tension before closing the buckle. Still, it's inconvenient and a lot of work, and my tank still slips once in awhile. Also, my buddy who has a Seaquest Libra can't do it so I end up doing it twice per dive (three or more times if I screw up).

I'm considering the Apollo tank band recommended above, but I'm curious: Does anyone know what causes the slippage? Is it caused by a poorly designed band, or buckle, or by a combination of the two? Is it something peculiar to the Seaquest design?

jagfish:
About a year ago, I purchased my first Seaquest BC, a Black Diamond. Despite wetting the band before tightening every time, I've had this band slip about 3 or 4 times in that year, ....

Perhaps the lack of a rubber pad on the band itself contributes to this. My last BC, a Mares, had teh rubber on the BC and tank band. A more stable configuration?

JAG

I just bought a brand new Seaquest BC Saturday. Mine has the rubber pad on
the strap. You can likely buy the rubber pad and add it to your BC.

I had also seen people thread the buckle wrong. The instructions
are a litle complex but now hard. I notice many of the rental
seaquest BCs are done wrong.

I have the Apollo and that strap really gets tight! It takes a couple times to get it right but it actually is possible to find the balance between say AL80 or Steel 100's and not have to ever adjust the actual strap. There's definately a sweet spot with that strap. Really though either way that thing is very cool and the tank is not going anywhere. Especially because of the spring loaded action. Expensive but certainly an investment worth paying for.

CJ_Albertson:
I just bought a brand new Seaquest BC Saturday. Mine has the rubber pad on
the strap. You can likely buy the rubber pad and add it to your BC.

I had also seen people thread the buckle wrong. The instructions
are a litle complex but now hard. I notice many of the rental
seaquest BCs are done wrong.

Tank straps should work simply and positively, without adding rubber pads, or wetting or complex threading and adjustment. I say this after having the bottom of a big steel single slip so low it bumped the back of my legs 85' deep wall dive in cold ocean current, on a wall dive, at night. With the help of a steadying hand and careful body positioning, it slipped no further during a careful ascent, but this it was, nevertheless, a frightening experience. And an infuriating one. Of course the strap should have been checked more carefully, by myself, my buddy, and/or the boat crewperson who'd filled the tank. But there are enough things to check and remember on a busy dive boats!

This happened with a Mares Synchrotec BC, which usually holds tanks pretty well, but never as off-or-on positvely as the Scubapro cam- lever straps on my wife and daughter's Ladyhawk BC's. I've often other divers have difficulty with slipping tanks, though usually before going in (one of the few advantages of walk-in shore dives!). Having a standard Alu 80 come lose may merely be disconcerting. Having the same happen with a big, negatively buoyant steel tank could be quite another matter.

In my opinion straps that rely on careful threading, friction and velcro, or need wetting to work are a hazard. This is one area where SP really deserves to have its patented system licensed or bought and sold by other makers, at least as an option. It may also be worth getting the possibly even better, but also more complicated-looking Apollo system. (The air-powered Mares system looks more complicated still!)

Either way, I'd suggest replacing that tricky band, or at the very least get a second one...especially if you're going to dive with steel tanks.

Just to revive this thread, the one and ONLY!!! thing I don't like about my Probe QLR BC is the cam buckle. Same problem as people are having with the Seaquests, its almost like the strap is too stiff/not pliable enough. Mine has the extra rubber pad that goes against the tank through part of the strap but its actually more nuisance/hindrance than a help, esp considering how good the traction pad is on the hard backpack. Plus you'd never get pony tank connected to the strap with all the other garbage on it.

Maybe I'll go see what the SP straps look like before I order the Apollo bio tank lock...

I was going to try the Apollo but ended up buying a Scubapro strap and putting it on my Balance... perfect. I also attached a thin 1" strap to the top of the backplate and loop it over the tank valve while mounting. The only purpose for the 1" strap is to hang the BC on the tank at the proper height while I fasten the Scubapro tank band buckle. The Scubapro band locks on tight, and thanks to the hanger strap, at the same height every time... but the best part is the tank does NOT move. I got the idea for the hanger strap from my Ultimate Pony Bottle mount.

Also use a Black Diamond, and I've never had that problem........ very weird since Seaquest has that patented piece of rubber padding to prevent slip. Your tank band must be very loose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom