Seaquest inflator problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdf

Contributor
Reaction score
I have just bought a Seaquest Diva LX. I have tried it out in the pool twice and both times came out with water in the bladder. I checked the bladder for leaks and found none. It seems that the inflator hose does not have a flap or diaphram to keep water from going inside when you pull on it to deflate it. Anyone else have this problem? Otherwise, I love the BC, it is very comfortable and the Surelock weight system is very easy to install and jettison.

Having water in your bladder is a sign of proper weighting. It means your actually getting all of the air out ( hence why the water gets in ) and your still neutral. Someone who is overweighted never gets all the air out.

jdf:
It seems that the inflator hose does not have a flap or diaphram to keep water from going inside when you pull on it to deflate it.
I've never seen one that does have a flapper or valve. If it would keep water out, how would you get air in? (when youinflate your BC, it follows the same direction/path as water would enter) What were you diving previously? As the previous poster mentioned, if you hold the exhaust valve open after the air has all been expelled, water can and will enter the bladder. Some BC's are more positive than others, so you may have been a bit overweight before and now correct or spot on before and half a pound light now, which will leave you trying to exhaust air that isn't. Also some valves will exhaust air faster than others (if you're in an undesired ascent, maybe the inflater valve stuck, fast is GOOD). On "better" BC's you can exhaust air faster than the inflator can add it. Becuase there's a larger air passage, it's easier to get water in there too.
If it's fresh water, manually inflate the BC, turn it over and get as much water out as you can, then fully inflate to store (if you're travelling do inflate it and let sit that way as soon as you can). It may take a couple of cycles, but the moisture will evaporate inot the air in the BC and changing the air, will eventually dry it. If it's salt water, drain, flush with fresh water. Even with fresh, it's not a bad idea to flush the interior now and then. I usually do it by removing the rear dump, ouring a good bit of fresh water in, put the dump valve on, inflate and 'shake it all about', then follow the drain and dry method above.

My old BC was and Oceanic Isla and I did not have any problems with water in the bladder. I switched to the Seaquest for greater lift capacity. My husband has a Seaquest that is about 8 years old and it has a check valve so that water does not go in the bladder. I was working in the pool to see how much weight I needed and started out with my usual 12lbs. and eventually took it down to 10lbs. I took it to my dive shop and we replaced the inflator hose with an Oceanic one since I didn't like the feel of the original. It seems to have a more positive pull--I can feel the valve open whereas the original was hard to deflate. I still have to try it in the water, though.

jdf:
I took it to my dive shop and we replaced the inflator hose with an Oceanic one since I didn't like the feel of the original. It seems to have a more positive pull--I can feel the valve open whereas the original was hard to deflate. I still have to try it in the water, though.

I don't care for the hose on the Seaquest bc's either but they are not supposed to be used for "normal" deflation. That is what the power inflator is for. The pull is a dump that will release the air very quickly in the event of a stuck inflator.

Water in the bc is normal. I know very few people that don't get water inside. That is why we teach rinsing them inside and out after diving.

I have never used a bc of any kind that does not get some water in the bladder. My wings even taken on a bit of water. Nothing to worry about.

chrpai:
Having water in your bladder is a sign of proper weighting. It means your actually getting all of the air out ( hence why the water gets in ) and your still neutral. Someone who is overweighted never gets all the air out.

Bullseye. Water in the bcd is normal with proper weighting.

R..

Thanks for all your info. It makes me more comfortable knowing that this is normal.

Groundhog246:
I've never seen one that does have a flapper or valve. If it would keep water out, how would you get air in?
This is the pull exhaust on my recreational BC. It has a one-way flapper valve that prevents water from entering the BC.

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom