Seamonkey's, Islamorada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

STATDIVER

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Anyone have any experience with these guys? We are thinking Keys for our next dive trip...never been there at all. Was thinking about doing our AOW down there as well. Was told they have discounts for staying at the breezy palms resort next door...anyone ever stayed there?

Seamonkey's seems to run a shop exactly like what we always look for, small six-pack type groups, including a dive guide. Just curious though about experiences diving and/or training with them, as well as Islamorada in general. For the most part, we would be looking for something kind of laid back in general in terms of vibe, with good food and drink options.

I know a lot of people on here seem to talk a lot about Key Largo, just curious how largo compares with Islamorada as well.

Seamonkey's is a great operation! They are right across from Alligator Reef, a great spot that the Key Largo ops rarely go to and they usually sit in the middle of the reef so both dives are made from the same location. Only stayed at Breezy Palms one night so I can't tell you much about it other then it is an older place but well maintained. They may also have a deal with the Hampton Inn but I am not sure about that.

Seamonkey's is a great operation! They are right across from Alligator Reef, a great spot that the Key Largo ops rarely go to and they usually sit in the middle of the reef so both dives are made from the same location. Only stayed at Breezy Palms one night so I can't tell you much about it other then it is an older place but well maintained. They may also have a deal with the Hampton Inn but I am not sure about that.

Sounds good. So far they meet all of what we are looking for. So I'm assuming the sites they frequent are a little less populated in general then? How do the sites around then compare with what's in Key Largo?

I've looked at photos of the resort...hard to tell, but as long as it's clean and has an ocean view etc, we would prob be fine with it. We did the whole "all inclusive" resort type of experience down in Cozumel, and frankly we just got tired of it by the end of the week. Mostly looking for a decent and clean place to stay for a decent price, convenient to the shop where we will be diving.

Ever done any training with Them? Based on their small groups in general, I would assume their classes are small as well. My wife and I were in a big group for our OW training, and though we felt like we learned what we needed, we just didn't like the crowd when trying to learn.

I don't know anything about their training. Only dove with them once so I can't compare the entire area to Key Largo but alligator was as good if not better then what I have seen in Key Largo. It was a rough, cold day and everyone else who signed up to dive that day canceled but they still took me out with the guide as my buddy. The resort I only stayed in for a night, came in late afternoon and left in the morning so I really didn't get the chance to really check out the place. It is clean and comes at a decent price though.

I don't know anything about their training. Only dove with them once so I can't compare the entire area to Key Largo but alligator was as good if not better then what I have seen in Key Largo. It was a rough, cold day and everyone else who signed up to dive that day canceled but they still took me out with the guide as my buddy. The resort I only stayed in for a night, came in late afternoon and left in the morning so I really didn't get the chance to really check out the place. It is clean and comes at a decent price though.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Seems like their specialty training organization is IDEA, but with that there is no online portion, all class work. They do Padi as well though, so we could go that route to get our AOW book work done before the trip. Just don't really want to be in a classroom while on vacation. Our open water cert was SDI, but they don't offer that route. But like I've seen on here so many times and been told, I'm more concerned with their ability to teach/instruct than the name on the card we end up getting. Appreciate your feedback though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom