Seals too tight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opie

Divemaster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My daughter just tried on her Bare CD4 drysuit last night for the first time. She said the wrist seals were too tight but i think she was just exagerating. Although the neck seal was a different story. I had it stretchd as far as it would go and it was still rather tough to get on and off.:confused:

So my question is,do they make seals in different sizes or should i just grease her up before putting her suit on?

what kind of seals? neoprene or latex? if neoprene you may be able to stretch them out a bit ..If latex trim to fit,cannot stretch out latex effectively..the dive store you purchased suit from should have done this for you before you left with item.

Don't "grease" her up to get the suit on. If the neck seal is too tight, then it can restrict blood flow, which could cause her to pass out. The seal may need to be trimmed. If you do not feel comfortable trimming it, take it to the dive shop and see if they can help you out. It isn't suppose to be extremely tight on the wrist either. If her hands are going numb, definitely too tight. They may need trimming as well.
I believe that there are different sizes of seals, but then they would need replacing.

Are her hands turning red, or veins really popping out? Its supposed to be tight, most people have never had these things on, they think its too tight even if its not. Does her face change color? Not in 45 mins, but in 1-2 mins or less? Also, with the neck seal, the biggest part of your head is front to back, unless your head is round :wink: Mos people pull open from the shoulders, this takes a circular neck seal and makes it an oval, with the longest part of that oval, running along the short side of your head....not helping to get in...turn her head to the side, and look at the shoulders if this is what she is doing. Its not that easy to grab the neck seal at your chin and back of head to open it without turning head :wink:

The wrists are latex and the neck is neopreme. Will try trimming the neck down some. As it was way to high on her neck once we got it on. As for the wrists, i think she just isn't used to haveing something like that on. Cause they never changed colors,tingled or anything of that nature.

Just assuming that you are flipping the neck seal down inside, correct? I would try stretching it out before cutting it to much. The neoprene seals can be a little bit tougher to get on because of the sticky skin that makes it water tight.

Phil

Like phil said, trimming the neo wont help because you fold it down anyway. Put it on a tank or a bowling ball or a football, and get it wet....leave overnight....dont stretch too much, as it wont go back down if you over stretch it....I would get her in a pool or in the shower with it on and see if it starts to loosen up(it should)

Well the seal may still need to be trimmed. It is possible to be to long even if it is folded under. Just take care not to cut to much off at one time if you do need to.

Phil

The wrists are latex and the neck is neopreme. Will try trimming the neck down some. As it was way to high on her neck once we got it on. As for the wrists, i think she just isn't used to haveing something like that on. Cause they never changed colors,tingled or anything of that nature.

I have latex seals on my dry suit but from my understanding - DO NOT TRIM NEOPRENE!!! The neck seal will have to be stretched (or replaced). stretching over a tank works well. Also the Neoprene seal is probably not "way too high" It's designed to be folded under. Get some advice from your LDS on the correct fit.

The Latex seals at the wrist can be trimmed but my suggestion is to go to your LDS and let them help / advise, because you don't want to go to far. (They don't grow back)

Hope that helps - good luck

Sue

The neck seal isn't that tight once it's on. It's the getting it on over her head that was the problem.

I will try stretching it and see how that works.

Thanks for all the input

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom