Seals scuffle at Lobos - video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been body-slammed by harbor seals going after fish, when they have used our dive lights to hunt by at night. They are BIG animals! I have never heard of them being aggressive to divers, though, unlike the sea lions.

Mark got charged by a sea lion (there's the distinction) in the Channel Islands. Having read of their behaviors, I knew what I was seeing, but he didn't and misinterpreted the sea lion (not Harbor Seal) as being playful. I had to tug on his fins to get him away. Just serves as a reminder that we are visitors only, not always invited guests.....

Alas, sometimes we are mere licensees, and the duty to warn extends only to known, hidden dangers. <ducks>

Oosh! Given that I am "makin' sweet love" to the Family Code, in particular the UCCJEA, let's refrain from law talk - k? :wink:

Something I posted on NCD and am reposting here since it pertains to Sealions.

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:15 pm Post subject: Fort Ross 2008-10-19 The Great Offshore Encounter

We packed Ryan's van the night before and went off into slumber land. Well I had some weird dream where we came across a Great White and watched as it swam around us, then departed. Hmmm...good thing to have on your mind when going diving? Thanks ANDY! "Fort Ross is known for being sharky".

So after breakfast we head off to the dive site. The routine of the dive gear unloading and prepping happens at a pretty fast rate. Andy showed for a couple of minutes to say hi. We were the only scuba divers on the beach. There were quite a few ab divers and fisherman utilizing kayaks. So with four tanks and two scooters we head into the water. The vis is almost 14 feet at the beach! So we scoot out towards the outer kelp line to drop in. We find the vis here much less, more like 6 feet. We drop in and keep close to each other heading out. We pass 40 feet then 50 feet and the vis does not improve. We keep heading out, and at around 78 feet stow the scooters, and decide to begin our dive. The vis is now about 8 feet and very snotty. The structure around us is incredible. Huge rocks everywhere, full of life. Some of the pinnacles are over 30 feet high, and they are towering around us. Fish are abundant on this dive, probably more than I have ever seen on the North Coast, and there are some BIG fish. One ling could have swallowed my arm.

As we are tooling around, I see something off to my right side go passed fairly quickly, then disappear. My senses heighten...Keeping a watchful eye out I spot a figure quickly approach from behind and grab at Ryan's fins. It then slides under us and lies on the bottom like "Hey who wants to play?" We continue our dive and a couple of minutes go by, when I feel a hard hit on my right leg that actually changes my direction. Remember I am packing over 190 lbs of gear, so moving me is not that easy. In shock I turn to my right to spot...the playful Sealion again. This time it comes right up to my face, and I have my hand on it's chest as we are checking each other out. Did I mention we are now at over 80 feet? The Sealion takes off again to the surface, but of course comes back again, and goes zooming out of nowhere right between Ryan and I. We are staying pretty close to each other since the vis is bad. It must have gotten bored with us and went back to doing whatever our local Sealion population does.

We had an excellent dive with warm water (51 degrees was the coldest averaging 53), and almost non existent surge except in less than 20 feet of water. No current either. Right as we were finishing up packing the van, the sun came out, for the ride home.

I missed the part where you said the GWS was in a dream!

My only dive in the north coast was that day at Fort Ross, and the viz/conditions were phenomenal (a beautiful, clear 30ft or so). I remember huge red abalone everywhere. What's the best season for favorable conditions up there? :)

Now is the best season. This Thursday is going to be epic. Friday might be OK, then just in time for the weekend, the swell kicks back up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom