SoCal does NorCal (Point Lobos)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thank you very much...
your videos are awesome!
I start to think that a scooter is absolutely necessary ...

I think Chris summed up our weekend quite nicely, so I'll just add a little bit.

I woke up the weekend before our trip with my ear hurting and some congestion. I was extremely upset as it's been nearly a year since I was sick last, and it managed to fall at about the most inopportune time. Of course, as the week proceeded, my cold / allergies / sinus infection continued to get worse. I opted to skip the Thursday night dive in hopes that things would be better by the next day.

Thankfully, with copious amounts of sudafed, afrin, and painfully slow ascents into the beauty that is Lobos, I was able to dive.

The four of us had studied the Lobos maps, so the first goal was to figure out where Hole in the Wall was and what it looked like. From there, the fun began....we nailed every site we were planning to hit. This is a far cry from the girl who didn't know how to use a compass when she started diving....and even a year ago, it served more as a bracelet than a tool :rofl3:

Overall, the weekend was truly spectacular. Sure, we didn't have epic vis, but it was more than enough for us to enjoy the beauty that Lobos offers. And although Monterey is only a few hours north of socal (and really not all that much colder), the life is so different....not really different so much as BIGGER! Large lings, abundant rockfish, fatty nudis, and so many other cool things that we don't see often in socal.

Would be nice if someone could do something about the tide, though. I sure like the boat ramp (no surf!!) at high tide, but am not a particularly huge fan of walking up or down the slippery part at low tide! Thankfully, we were all careful and had no major problems.

Great diving, great friends, and tons of fun....couldn't have asked for a better weekend. Thanks so much to my buddies and those we got to chat with topside. Would love to meet more of you next time around!

After dinner, Nicole and I went to the Breakwater for a scooter night dive, while Stephen and Jennifer went for chocolate (yes, we clearly have different priorities).

Clearly we have our priorities straight...

It was awesome to chat with you guys. I think our secret of having a awesome scooter playground is out :wink: Really it's hard to beat the ease of access and awesome diving here at Pt Lobos... I love showing off my favorite spots specially to competent and skilled divers who can make those extended runs with ease :)

Next time you guys come up you must try some of the boats... I'm sure we can get the Escapade for a semi private charter...

Thanks for sharing the videos.... Gorgeous photos too

Thanks so much for the info on the cavern....that and GPW were really spectacular. Honestly, all the dives we did were great. You guys are so spoiled up in Monterey!

I think a charter next time would be great! As long as we've got some help from those of you who know where to go :D

So glad you all had a great time, but next time, say something before you come! I would've loved to have met you!

Yeah, sorry about that....we were a little anti-social about making our plans known before the fact. Like Chris mentioned, we had an agenda....and we didn't want to offend anyone by saying, "Sorry, can't join us this time around." But we'll definitely be back....and if you're down in socal, do let us know. We'd love to meet you as well!

Yeah, sorry about that....we were a little anti-social about making our plans known before the fact. Like Chris mentioned, we had an agenda....and we didn't want to offend anyone by saying, "Sorry, can't join us this time around." But we'll definitely be back....and if you're down in socal, do let us know. We'd love to meet you as well!

LOL, I can meet you without diving with you. :D
Doubles/stage bottles/scooters, all beyond my level of expertise.

LOL, I can meet you without diving with you. :D
Doubles/stage bottles/scooters, all beyond my level of expertise.

haha, of course....but I'd love to get a dive in with you....so we'll have to take a rain check and do it next time :D

I LOVE Lobos! Seriously...if all you guys have to deal with is low tide, you surely are spoiled! :) It was great meeting everyone up there (yes, next time we'll give a heads up). It's nice having one spot that everyone hits up on the weekend...you never know who you'll run into, but you know you'll run into someone!

A few of my highlights:
– Mola mola, chasing the seal into the cavern, and the 4'+ leopard shark
– Scootering back to Middle Reef, feeling someone/thing bump up into from behind...I turn around and there's Stephen with this look of "oops...did I really just scooter into you?"
– Calling AAA and telling them that we're located at Whaler's Cove in Lobos...and seeing this massive tow truck drive down the ramp.
– Successfully navigating all around the cove.
– Complaining about how the rangers lost Nicole + Stephen's reservation...only to realize that they had it under Nicole's maiden name. :D oops...

And I have to say, this trip was a culmination of lots of practice/skill dives to get us to the point where we were capable and felt comfortable doing the dives. Chris was nice enough to come with me to Catalina last weekend to get comfortable with the stage. All 4 of us carefully planned our dives, turnaround pressures/times, etc. In fact, we even did GUE EDGE on a few dives. :) These were definitely payoff dives that make all the practice worthwhile...I mean, it took *some* work to make those barrel rolls look that easy. :D

I'll be on the Peace next weekend, boarding the 16th-19th. Spots still available!!!

Great boat. You're going to have a WONDERFUL trip.

an absolutely superb report and the videos were tastefully done and enjoyable. Thx much!

Really appreciate it! :)

Wow, simply wow. Great write-up and video.

I think my manager was giving me the stink eye as I enjoyed the video but I could not take my eyes off the video.

Thanks for posting, Chris.

Edit: I have serious scooter envy now!!!

Thanks, Sam. Hopefully didn't get you into too much trouble! :wink: And yes, scooters are a ton of fun (and insanely useful for exploring large areas).

thank you very much...
your videos are awesome!
I start to think that a scooter is absolutely necessary ...

Thank you for the kind words! Scooters necessary? Maybe not always, but they are certainly worth the hassle and expense!

Clearly we have our priorities straight...

You know it. :D

These were definitely payoff dives that make all the practice worthwhile...

Totally agree. Was great seeing you three put in the effort these past few months so we could pull off this trip.

– Complaining about how the rangers lost Nicole + Stephen's reservation...only to realize that they had it under Nicole's maiden name. :D oops...

Oh yeah....thanks for the reminder! I need to see if there's a way to change my name on my paypal account. I made the reservations under my married name, put my c-card info in with my married name, paid for my reservations....and then nothing. We were so worried (okay, I take it back....I was so worried) that they were not going to let us in on Saturday or Sunday since the reservations were full.

So glad we figured it out and were able to make it in and scooter our brains out in the beautiful Lobos playground :D

So glad we figured it out and were able to make it in and scooter our brains out in the beautiful Lobos playground :D

Was a bit stressful when they initially wouldn't let you in on Saturday. Glad it worked out!

Great video. Thanks!

Thanks, Bogie!

Back
Top Bottom