Seals scuffle at Lobos - video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Had a great dive yesterday at Lobos. 30-40ft viz out at Granite Point Wall, slightly less in Middle Reef. Besides the usual suspects (lingcod, cabazon, rockfish), the highlight was seeing several mature (large) harbor seals swim up and down the west face of the wall, and being around (a little too close now that I think about it) when two of them got into a little territorial scuffle (this is MY sleeping spot).

We had front row seats, but after a few seconds thought to take cover behind a kelp holdfast, which I'm sure would have been an impenetrable shield protecting us if the seals decided they didn't want us around.

73fsw max, 48fsw avg, 104 minutes, 51 degrees F.

High quality video available at: YouTube - Seals at Granite Point Wall

Great video! Too bad you guys didn't get to spot any leopard sharks that have been around there. I've never seen seals wrestle underwater, very cool! I'm with you about staying shallow too :)

Fun video! We dive with harbor seals all the time in the winter, but I've never seen them quarrel before.

I'm really looking forward to getting back down to Monterey in May. I love those palm kelp -- we don't have those at all.

Yep, one long dive. In the water around 9am, out by 11am, enough time to hang around, get fills and still have the whole day for other stuff.

It would have been great to see another leopard shark - the first/only one I've seen was at GPW as well. Maybe next time!

TUBESNOUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best fish ever.

---
Ken

PS: chica and I saw a LS at the Carmel Pinnacles a couple of weeks ago when we were up there. They're a Summer thing in SoCal. We were looking at each other, scratching our heads... "did we really just see a leopard shark? After Christmas???"

Wait, leopard sharks are in SoCal at summertime? They are up here to mate during wintertime unless I am mistaken. Are they big travellers? I've only seen one also and it was at Otter Cove or Coral Street, I can't remember.

I :heart: those little fatties. :)

I like it when they're little as well - they've got huge eyes and are as playful as puppies. These guys were NOT little though, and you can't tell in the video but there was a pretty loud bark or two when they snapped at each other. Ildiko and I both gave each other a bit of that "Should we really be here?" look.

During a Lobos dive last month, we saw an enormous seal or sea lion (maybe the latter) blast by us on the way to Sea Mount. It was a real monster, and I'm kind of glad it didn't find us interesting!

Back
Top Bottom