Seals in Whaler's Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zf2nt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The spring whelping season in Whaler's Cove has now begun. I was there Friday and saw only one mother and pup on the sand, though I could hear the plaintive cry of another pup somewhere out in the kelp. Sunday afternoon I took a friend down to show him my favorite dive sites and there were 10 seals up on the beach. While we were there, one of them was struggling to give birth. When we walked over to get a better view, we got there just as she delivered--and my friend caught a video of it! You can view it at Login | Facebook.

Bruce

Any chance you could link the video somewhere besides Facebook? I really don't want to have to sign up with them just to view that one clip, spectacular though it undoubtedly is.

Can you please place it on youtube? I second the motion of having to join another online public service to view such a spectacular event.

Thanks,

MG

Dave,
Sorry, but it's not my video clip. It belongs to Jon Rusho, and he posted it on Facebook.

Bruce

How amazing! And simultaneously reassuring that I don't want to give birth! :)

I like the nosey seagulls. At least they made some noise to announce the birth.

I'm told humans don't have to do it while the waves washes over them...

I bet it is kind of soothing actually.... well, in moderation perhaps. Still, what a wonderful video of a soon-to-be-dive buddy coming into this world. I hope it is kind to him/her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom