sealife or canon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
just looking for opinions from some of the photo geeks. im ready to upgrade on my camrea i think i have narrowed it down to a sealife or a cannon. any input would help.

We use a sealife D800 and a canon s630 with a Ikelite housing. I like the sealife myself simple to use and is made for taking underwater photos, with all the settings. The wife uses the canon and takes videos with it, both work great. We were thinking about getting a better canon but the housings are so much big and we don't want to be tied to it on our dives. Both of us have them on a large retractor so when not shooting just let it go and it retracts nicely back to the bc. Thats just my opinion i'm sure people will have their own pluses and minuses about it. I say sealife for the win, but get the d1000.

I don't have anything to compare it to but I love our Canon point and shoot in the Canon housing. It seems when people show me their pictures from the SeaLife cameras their results are no better than ours and they often have strobes. The pics I'm talking about are the cold, dark waters of Michigan. And it could be the photographer too :p.

becca were those shots color enhanced at all? if not all i can say is wow.second question do you use a srob?or is that with the built in flash? awesome shots...yours too scuba. man both yours and scubas shots make me wana chuck my camrea in the trash can.

Love my new Canon.

Canon s90 with Canon housing. All the posts on my blog in the last month are from that set up with NO STROBE. Good features include being able to add red into the image in the camera (no need to buy a red filter) adjusting the intensity of the flash, shooting in RAW and going fully manual. Of course if you want to flip to the the little fish icon and fire away, that's still possible too.

Overall, good macro. Highly customizable and relatively small housing compared to the Ike housing for the s90. Total cost $600.

G

I am happy with the performance of the DC 1000. Simple to use and unlike my buddies expensive Ikelite housing... it does not flood lol.

man this is not working the way i hoped it would.....so whats the big difference between the g11 and s90?

I'd take a Canon over the Sealife cameras just about any time. One's a camera developed by one of the world's top imaging companies, the other, well, it just isn't. The Canons should be more versatile, especially if you are looking at one of their higher end point and shoots.

The G11 and S90 are very similar cameras, sharing many of the same internals (sensor, processor and such I believe). The G11 has a bit more zoom, probably a bit better lens, and a couple other things, the S90 is very compact.

I had a G9 that I really liked 'til it finally kicked the bucket this last fall, was looking to go to the S90 (due to the compact size) 'til I decided I'm really hot to trot for something with interchangeable lenses.

As Gabe mentions, you can take a lot of great photos without a strobe. The onboard flash works great for macro and anything within a couple of feet, shoot RAW and you can fix most other photos. I think on my blog I've got maybe 3 photos in the last 5 years using a strobe unit, (picked up an Ikelite AF-35 and used it twice, I don't care to carry anything that big in general) everything else was onboard flash or RAW and photoshop.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom