Sealife DC 1000 settings and help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have just received the above camera. While reading the manual I noticed it said that the infinity focus range is from 8.5ft to infinity. Is this right(or is this a misprint) because the dc 800 was 2.5ft to infinity and if so that would make this setting useless for fish pix.
Does anyone use or plan to use the quick shot feature in lieu of auto focus(pros cons)
Thnx in advance

I too just received the DC1000 camera along with the Sealife Pro Digital strobe. I will be testing out this weekend in Catalina. I will start off using the quick setup feature of camera+strobe with the color filters. If they don't look quite good enough, I'll switch to to auto mode with strobe.

Thnx did your manual also say the infinity focus is 8.5ft to infinity?

Thnx did your manual also say the infinity focus is 8.5ft to infinity?

Yes it does...Only choose the Infinity focus for objects further away then 8.5 feet. For closer objects just choose automatic(no symbol) And of course macro focus can be used from 2 inches through 3 feet.

Well after further digging, perhaps the manual is wrong...Here's what the sealife website states. Hopefully someone at Sealife will clarify....

7. Tips for avoid out-of-focus pictures.

The camera's auto focus system has an effective range is 2"' (5cm) to infinity. Understanding how your camera's auto focus system works will help you avoid taking out-of-focus pictures.

For the camera to focus correctly there must be sufficient ambient light to illuminate the subject. The camera may not "see" the subject in low light. The subject must also have some contrast. It is difficult for the camera to focus on a white wall with no contrast. The focus square in the center of the LCD display will turn green when the camera accurately determines the focus. If the focus square is red, the camera did not accurately determine the correct focus.

Here are some tips to ensure a sharp focus:

1. Learn how to use the focus button (the button with the flower icon on it):

The "normal focus" [no icon] shooting range is 1ft (30cm) to infinity. When using the zoom feature, normal focus is 1.5ft (45cm) to infinity.
Push the focus [flower] button and select "Infinity focus" (mountain icon). This will lock the camera to infinity, so anything beyond 2ft (60cm) shooting distance is in focus. This setting is very helpful in low light conditions or when the subject is low in contrast. When the camera is set to Infinity focus, the camera will also have a very fast shutter response time. You can also set the camera to Landscape focus and benefit from a very fast shutter response time. Landscape focus will lock the camera to infinity, so anything beyond 2ft (60cm) shooting distance is in focus.
The camera will set the focus on the subject located in the center of the picture. Align the square located in the center of the LCD over the subject. Subjects outside this square may not be in focus. The depth of field for close-up pictures is only a few inches.
For more information about focusing, please refer to page 20 of the DC1000 instruction manual.

Well after further digging, perhaps the manual is wrong...Here's what the sealife website states. Hopefully someone at Sealife will clarify....

7. Tips for avoid out-of-focus pictures.

The camera's auto focus system has an effective range is 2"' (5cm) to infinity. Understanding how your camera's auto focus system works will help you avoid taking out-of-focus pictures.

For the camera to focus correctly there must be sufficient ambient light to illuminate the subject. The camera may not "see" the subject in low light. The subject must also have some contrast. It is difficult for the camera to focus on a white wall with no contrast. The focus square in the center of the LCD display will turn green when the camera accurately determines the focus. If the focus square is red, the camera did not accurately determine the correct focus.

Here are some tips to ensure a sharp focus:

1. Learn how to use the focus button (the button with the flower icon on it):

The "normal focus" [no icon] shooting range is 1ft (30cm) to infinity. When using the zoom feature, normal focus is 1.5ft (45cm) to infinity.
Push the focus [flower] button and select "Infinity focus" (mountain icon). This will lock the camera to infinity, so anything beyond 2ft (60cm) shooting distance is in focus. This setting is very helpful in low light conditions or when the subject is low in contrast. When the camera is set to Infinity focus, the camera will also have a very fast shutter response time. You can also set the camera to Landscape focus and benefit from a very fast shutter response time. Landscape focus will lock the camera to infinity, so anything beyond 2ft (60cm) shooting distance is in focus.
The camera will set the focus on the subject located in the center of the picture. Align the square located in the center of the LCD over the subject. Subjects outside this square may not be in focus. The depth of field for close-up pictures is only a few inches.
For more information about focusing, please refer to page 20 of the DC1000 instruction manual.

Thats what I was concerned about. I did pm sealifejoe a couple of days ago but as of yet have not received a reply

I called sealife and they said, the minimum focus for infinity is 2.5 feet and the manual is wrong

That's huge since most UW shots are under 8', but not 2'. To me that could mean you could basically leave it set to the mountain icon and get much faster shutter response, plus it would always be ready to fire (except when shooting macro, etc). If that is true, are there any cons to leaving it in this setting?

BTW, I just got mine and read the manual and mine says 8 ft (not 8.5???).

Back
Top Bottom