Rumored TG-6 specs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I shoot with a G12. My only desire to have a 1" sensor with it is so that I can crop when I can't quite zoom in close enough.

Backscatter does a pretty good job showing why you don't need a larger sensor for great photos though...

2BCCDD06-4FEC-4A27-96D0-1B9C0C09CE54.gif
691D455D-1F01-47D1-8D01-E94A6304677E.gif
I shoot with a G12. My only desire to have a 1" sensor with it is so that I can crop when I can't quite zoom in close enough.

Backscatter does a pretty good job showing why you don't need a larger sensor for great photos though...
Macro is pretty easy with the tg 5

Mine were also without the housing and strobe if i remember correctly

It seems most of the changes in the TG 6 is in the function or “usability” per Backscatter. Is this something that will help people like myself that are photo skills challenged? In other words, will these changes help the amateur photographer take better photos vs the TG 5.

great question!

It seems most of the changes in the TG 6 is in the function or “usability” per Backscatter. Is this something that will help people like myself that are photo skills challenged? In other words, will these changes help the amateur photographer take better photos vs the TG 5.
The big improvement seems to be with aperture priority
I just dont get good results on that setting for some reason

I absolutely love my TG-5 for macro, I'm really considering the the upgrade to the 6 for the min shutter speed setting and microscope mode in aperture.

Attachments

• _4140023.JPG
    _4140023.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 107
  • _4190183.Vivid_ful.jpg
    _4190183.Vivid_ful.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 121
  • _4190235.Vivid_ful.jpg
    _4190235.Vivid_ful.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 111
  • _4190242.Vivid_ful.jpg
    _4190242.Vivid_ful.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 105
  • _4190276.Vivid_ful.jpg
    _4190276.Vivid_ful.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 115
I absolutely love my TG-5 for macro, I'm really considering the the upgrade to the 6 for the min shutter speed setting and microscope mode in aperture.
For aperture settings I can’t seem to get pleasing results even following Backscatter’s recommendations.
What do you like?

Small sensor compacts like the TG line with close focusing lenses coupled with the fact that for doing macro you should be inches away does a lot to mitigate the weaknesses of the small sensors. That being lower dynamic range, noisy and less info per pixel producing images that can look flat and much lower quality. Those weaknesses are much harder to avoid when shooting portraits of subjects with any size or shooting wide-angle.

That's not to say you cannot get good photos with these smaller sensors, one of my favorite shots is still one I got with my TG-4 but there is no comparison to the image quality of similar subjects in similar conditions with the TG-4 and the rx100.

After a few years, I wanted to upgrade because I didn't like that even in my good shots, they just looked flat because of the tiny little sensor. It didn't help that in low light conditions without manual mode you have very little control over the background color.

Back
Top Bottom