SEAL Drysuit brand, info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no experience with them, but they seem to be quite expensive. The standard ScubaBoard recommendation for a made to measure drysuit is Seaskin out of the UK. From all the reviews and discussions on this site, Seaskin seems to offer the best value for the amount they charge for thier made to measure suits.

Back when I was shopping for my first drysuit, one of my dive partners, who had lots more experience diving than I did, and had lots of experience with drysuits explained to me that a drysuit is basically a perishable item meaning that they are succeptible to being torn, cut, punctured, etc. He further explained that a suit costing nearly 3000 Euros may or may not perform better than one costing less, but it is much more painful when that expensive suit suffers a casualty compared to the one that costs less.

I have been diving an Aqualung Fusion Bullet AirCore suit since 2018, and it is still going strong. If I was in need of a new drysuit, I would strongly consider a Seaskin, particularly because Aqualung no longer makes the Fusion line of suits and the original manufacturer of that line of suits, Whites, who bought the manufacturing rights back from Aqualung, is not using the AireCore material in the suits they are currently making.

Yes I have read good about Seaskin. I was just curious to hear some feedback on this brand (SEAL Drysuits) as it is new to me. It is located in Poland this I assume it may be created by people with knowledge from other local brands like Santi/Avatar. Popular brands in Scandinavia. I have only good feedback on the Avatar brand now owned by Santi.

Looking for a drysuit I can get very good deals on both DUI and BARE from local distributors. However, I have many negative comments on these two brands. I guess all drysuit nowadays are rather good it just depend from personal experience of the users, some may get more or less qualit problems…

Yes I have read good about Seaskin. I was just curious to hear some feedback on this brand (SEAL Drysuits) as it is new to me. It is located in Poland this I assume it may be created by people with knowledge from other local brands like Santi/Avatar. Popular brands in Scandinavia. I have only good feedback on the Avatar brand now owned by Santi.

Looking for a drysuit I can get very good deals on both DUI and BARE from local distributors. However, I have many negative comments on these two brands. I guess all drysuit nowadays are rather good it just depend from personal experience of the users, some may get more or less qualit problems…

Even if SEAL Drysuits are a good product, they are still expensive for what they are. If cost factor is not a relevant consideration for you, then ignore my input.

-Z

I have no experience with them, but they seem to be quite expensive. The standard ScubaBoard recommendation for a made to measure drysuit is Seaskin out of the UK. From all the reviews and discussions on this site, Seaskin seems to offer the best value for the amount they charge for thier made to measure suits.
Funny thing is, if you were actually based in the UK, the standard recommendation would be Othree or Otter (mainly depending on location), sometimes Santi/Avatar, Predator or possibly Sftech if really rich or Nothern Diver if poorer. You rarely see Seaskin on hard boats. Seaskin is weirdly popular on Scubaboard though.

Funny thing is, if you were actually based in the UK, the standard recommendation would be Othree or Otter (mainly depending on location), sometimes Santi/Avatar, Predator or possibly Sftech if really rich or Nothern Diver if poorer. You rarely see Seaskin on hard boats. Seaskin is weirdly popular on Scubaboard though.

I think that is because made to measure (MTM) suits that are fabricated in the US tend to be much more expensive, and I am not even sure how many places in the US make bespoke MTM drysuits to begin with. From the reviews and such, Seaskin's cost-value proposition sits well with perspective customers. In the UK and western Europe there are more dive clubs than in the US, where diving on vacation seems to be the prevailing trend. My observation from living in Europe for nearly a decade before returning to the US is that the club divers over there are more likely to dive year round or for a greater portion of the year, are more willing to invest in a drysuit, and there are more drysuit manufacturers to accomodate that market there, particularly those offering MTM suits. While living in Belgium, my wife purchased MTM suit through a local shop that had a relationship with Teknodiver out of Italy...the cost was considerably less than the approximate $3K Euros SEALS want for their M2M suit.

-Z

I think that is because made to measure (MTM) suits that are fabricated in the US tend to be much more expensive, and I am not even sure how many places in the US make bespoke MTM drysuits to begin with. From the reviews and such, Seaskin's cost-value proposition sits well with perspective customers. In the UK and western Europe there are more dive clubs than in the US, where diving on vacation seems to be the prevailing trend. My observation from living in Europe for nearly a decade before returning to the US is that the club divers over there are more likely to dive year round or for a greater portion of the year, are more willing to invest in a drysuit, and there are more drysuit manufacturers to accomodate that market there, particularly those offering MTM suits. While living in Belgium, my wife purchased MTM suit through a local shop that had a relationship with Teknodiver out of Italy...the cost was considerably less than the approximate $3K Euros SEALS want for their M2M suit.

-Z
I read a lot about SEALS from US based (did not know this brand since I joined this board). By looking at their website it looks a good brand. Both in Europe (I know Italy) and Norway we do not use SEAL. The North American brands I see here are the DUI, BARE. Otherwise most use Waterproof, Ursuit, Santi, Avatar, and the italian ROFOS which I know well and is a top quality and they also do MTM. Some local diving gear distributors also have their own brands lower budget but quite good quality. I see also the Scubapro, Mares , etc.

I read a lot about SEALS from US based (did not know this brand since I joined this board). By looking at their website it looks a good brand. Both in Europe (I know Italy) and Norway we do not use SEAL. The North American brands I see here are the DUI, BARE. Otherwise most use Waterproof, Ursuit, Santi, Avatar, and the italian ROFOS which I know well and is a top quality and they also do MTM. Some local diving gear distributors also have their own brands lower budget but quite good quality. I see also the Scubapro, Mares , etc.
Rofos and Santi aren't made to measure. These brands will take your measurements to modify the existing size that is the best fit. So if you are an XL in Santi but need shorter legs, they'll take the existing XL side and shorten the legs. However, other parts of the suit may still be off a bit. Most people choose to live with a less-than-perfect fit.

Santi may allow only several modifications for free. If you want to know more, talk to the dealers and ask what it means to have "made-to-measure."

SF Tech, Bare, Otter, SeaSkin will offer true made-to-measure experience where there is only one size - truly yours.

in europe you have also

otherwise there is many brand on alibaba where when you talk with them, you can get made to measure

seem like dui

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom