Seal at Treasure Island!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spade

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The worst part of this whole dive, I had the camera all charged up and preped, I put all my gear on with the car keys in the pocket under the wetsuit, under the adjusted hood, under the BC and tank. And then noticed I locked the camera in the car! Too lazy to shead everything to get the camera, I assumed it'd be an "average" dive. Damn I was wrong. 5 minutes into the dive, I look up to locate on of my dive buddies and almost get kissed in the face by a large silver torpedo with two huge eyeballs staring into mine only 3 inches away! :confused:

Now, this is my first seal experience so I have no real understanding of the demenor in person, only the stories I've heard. Wow, they really let you touch them/push them around quite a bit. I started out very gently pushing it out of my face so I could catch my breath :11: Then realised very quickly I needed to tuck my snorkel in my pocket after watching him head over to one of my buddies to riffle through her hair and bite at her snorkel. I told her about it in that fun way you can only communicate under water, and then helped her remove hers. The whole dive the seals main interest was playing with our heads from above and behind! I had a hood on and every now and then felt these *bump* *bump* *bump* thinking it's my dive buddy I look to my right and she just smiles and points up, next thing I know, I have the seal pop in front of me upside down with a "smile" on his face. Some points during the dive it was almost a job to keep the seal out of my buddies hair! It's really amazing though how smoothly they move through the water and how easy it is to push them around (GENTLY). You can be darn sure, I took my gloves off for this encounter though!

Keep your eyes open everyone, chances are it's the same seal as the one at Shaw's and it's quite a friendly fellow. :D

Sounds like fun!

Haha, that's why I try to bring my camera on every dive, just in case.

I definatly learned my lesson the hard way! I can't imagine all the pics/vid I could have captured. Every dive from this point on for sure!

Back
Top Bottom