SeaDive EagleEye Mask Reflectivity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobPNW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was looking at this mask and like the UV and glare protection concepts. But I was wondering from people who have one, can your buddy still see your eyes and facial expressions okay? The pictures online look really reflective but I'm assuming that's a little deceptive.

While not the same, one of my friends dives the Paragon and it doesn't seem to have such issues.

I'm not sure on this particular mask, but my buddy used to have a reflective mask. I absolutely hated!!!!! it! You really have no idea how much communication is occurring just by eye contact. Every time I looked at him, you never know if he is actually seeing you, or your signal or your waving or pointing. It is like looking at a robot. Fine for him, I guess but really difficult for a buddy - my opinion of course.

The only apparent justification for such a mask is if you are spearfishing and stalking spooky fish, otherwise what is the benefit? Maybe shallow snorkeling in the Bahamas over white sand - where there is too much light?

Hmmm. I just bought a new SeaView mask with the UV coatings this summer but have only dived with it 4 or 5 times and all but one of those dives was with my wife. She hasn't said anything about it. I'll try to remember to ask her to pay attention to this next time we dive and report back.

I have used the SeaView UV coated mask for a couple hundred dives as my primary and I carry one for my backup. For me they are great for relieving eye strain and makes the colors a bit brighter.
As far as communication goes I think it's ridiculous to say I can't see your eyes so I don't know if you saw me..... When my dive partner and I communicate it's either with a light or with one handed signals. Part of that communication is the response, by either repeating back the signal or responding OK, nothing to do with my eyes.
With a mask, hood, regulator in mouth and back up regulator bungied under my chin, doesn't leave much face exposed for expressions.

I have used the SeaView UV coated mask for a couple hundred dives as my primary and I carry one for my backup. For me they are great for relieving eye strain and makes the colors a bit brighter.
As far as communication goes I think it's ridiculous to say I can't see your eyes so I don't know if you saw me..... When my dive partner and I communicate it's either with a light or with one handed signals. Part of that communication is the response, by either repeating back the signal or responding OK, nothing to do with my eyes.
With a mask, hood, regulator in mouth and back up regulator bungied under my chin, doesn't leave much face exposed for expressions.
Serious question, you don't think you can see happiness, fear or confusion in someone's face, even behind a mask?

While eating dinner tonight, I was telling my wife about this thread and asked her if she could see my eyes with my coated lenses. She said no, but she knew when I was looking at her.

As @DirtFish said, we communicate with signals and/or lights. Besides, in most of the quarries we dive in, the viz is so poor we can't see each others eyes, anyway.

I THINK I have one of these from a few years ago. Excellent glare reduction, but no, you can't see the wearer's eyes through them.

Serious question, you don't think you can see happiness, fear or confusion in someone's face, even behind a mask?
Maybe if you were right up on them, but from 8-15 or even 20 feet away, no way. Stand in front of a mirror with your mask on and try it. More a matter of body language that you notice than eyes, as most everyone looks bug eyed with a mask on.
I asked, and my wife says she can see my eyes thru my UV coated mask when we are close to each other underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom