Sea World Shark Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hhennel

Reaction score
Has anyone done the Sea World Shark dive in Orlando. I know it looks pretty lame as we you go see the sharks you are in a cage apparently. We are doing it this weekend and want to hear any experiences that anyone has had.

Thanks,
Heith

No experience with it here, but be sure to let us know how it is, sounds interesting.

We're headed to Orlando in January and looking for new things to try...

We haven't done it but we've seen others there. You are right that its not really a dive, per se, you get into a clear plexiglass cage in the water with a regulator but you won't actually be swimming around. Since the access to look at the shark tank for the masses is on a moving escalator/walkway (and btw thank God for that!) you will get to spend a little more quality time looking at the sharks and will definitely feel more "up close".

There is an attached restaurant that we always eat at that has about a dozen large windows to the shark tank. The foods not great (to make up for that, its not exactly cheap either) but you can catch lunch sitting at an air-conditioned table while watching the sharks swim around for 45 minutes or an hour. The food's better at Epcot's Coral Reef Restaurant that looks into the Living Seas fish tank, but if you like sharks like we do then the one at Orlando SeaWorld shouldn't be missed.

MtnDiver:
No experience with it here, but be sure to let us know how it is, sounds interesting.

We're headed to Orlando in January and looking for new things to try...

For something really different, I found Epcot's Dive Quest to be a really fun dive. In fact, I'm diving it for the second time this coming weekend with my son and girlfriend.

Some info can be read here: http://www.naui.org/NAUI_DiveQuestInfo.html or a google search will turn up dozens of other links.

No cage here... Just 45 minutes getting very close to the sharks, Eagle Rays and what seems like 10 million fish.

Just a thought....

I don't know how the shark diving is...

but the best thing about Seaworld....

FREE BEER!

Yes, our plans include, diving with the sharks. Go get free beer, go to beer school. Then eat at the shark restaurant (can you order shark there, I will if I can) then go back and get some more free beer. (After shift change).

Heith

jwvanno:
For something really different, I found Epcot's Dive Quest to be a really fun dive. In fact, I'm diving it for the second time this coming weekend with my son and girlfriend.

Some info can be read here: http://www.naui.org/NAUI_DiveQuestInfo.html or a google search will turn up dozens of other links.

No cage here... Just 45 minutes getting very close to the sharks, Eagle Rays and what seems like 10 million fish.

Take a look at this thread discussing the Epcot experience.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=104187

Alex

I don't think shark is on the menu. When you go, however, tell them you want a shark-side table. If you're going to spend $100 for lunch (and I always do :)), it's worth the extra wait. They give you a pager, and you can walk around until your table is ready.

Also, don't forget to check out the bar. It's an aquarium that's only about 4" deep.

hhennel:
Yes, our plans include, diving with the sharks. Go get free beer, go to beer school. Then eat at the shark restaurant (can you order shark there, I will if I can) then go back and get some more free beer. (After shift change).

Heith

ReefGuy:
When you go, however, tell them you want a shark-side table. If you're going to spend $100 for lunch (and I always do :)), it's worth the extra wait. They give you a pager, and you can walk around until your table is ready.
And right outside is the openair tank with baby sharks and rays, so theres no reason not to wait for a good table.

Trip Update,

We just completed the Shark Deep Dive at SeaWorld.

It is actually no longer a dive. They have purchase helmets that are surface supplied with air. It allows you to communicate with the people on the surface as well as your partner in the cage with you.

They start with a briefing about sharks, what sharks they have at SeaWorld. They have 7 different kinds as well as two sawfish.

Then you change and head to the tank. We also got to play with a baby shark before getting in to the main tank.

From then they put the helmets on you, weighing about 75 pounds out of the water and about 5-15 in the water, my wife had and extra balloon to make it weigh less.

Then you go on a tour of the tank which takes about 30 minutes stopping in the middle main area twice. The people on the surface will tell you what sharks are going by and answer any questions that you may have.

All in all it was a good experience but probably not worth the $150/piece to get in.

It also includes a t-shirt and a photo.

Heith

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom