sea turtles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

r&wc:
since weve been diving my wife has been dying to see a sea turtle, they always seem to show up once we are back on the boat and the dive is over. does anyone know where we would stand the best chance of seeing one in the water?
Hawaii is loaded with turtles. In Florida, West Palm Beach is sea turtle central. In Key Largo, you just have to know where to look. I'm familiar with a couple of resident hawksbills at the Duane, while Molasses Reef is home to more than a few Hawksbills and Loggerheads.

Keep diving, and keep looking (up to the surface, and under ledges during the day). Tell your boat crews and divemasters what you're looking for. They'll help you to increase your odds of a turtle encounter. Most importantly, when you do spot one, remain calm and quiet. Don't stare, and don't swim directly toward it. It will swim away! Instead, just hang out, or meander around, acting disinterested, and observing discreetly. I hope this helps... good luck!

im going to have to start heading north and do some diving in palm beach, ive been hearing a lot about the diving up there lately

I second the Jupiter Dive at Loggerhead . I've seen at least one just about everytime I dive there.

Batesmotel:
I second the Jupiter Dive at Loggerhead . I've seen at least one just about everytime I dive there.

I third this, especially at night. We must have seen 5 or 6 on the last night dive I took down there.

Jupiter is a hit for turtles though not as often as west palm out of the "dive boat marina." Boyton with spalshdown or jupiter with the Temptation is your best bet.

Or at night here with a very low powered flashlight with a red filter at night on the beach. Our beaches are closed at night so if you run into a person with a badge apologize and leave.

there is a turtle walk in Martin county with a marine biologist that I HIGHLY reccomend the donotation is under $20.00 and is a awesome resource.

I agree. I've seen a lot of turtles off Jupiter lately!

i just booked a trip with splashdown on sunday morning so wish us luck

Dove off of the Republic IV out of Jupiter Diver center today. We did Captin Mikes and another site which I cant remeber for the life of me. We saw a half dozen turtles, and the Goliath were all over the place. The vis was great, what an awsome dive today!

r&wc:
i guess not to likely in the ft lauderdale are huh?

I've seen them frequently at LBTS. One was a little one that, after swimming up to my mask and looking in, swam next to me for about 45 minutes like a puppy. While I know it was either looking for food or shelter, it was neat.

Turtle **ALERT** I dove Jupiter Friday 07/28/2006. I saw three Turtles on the first dive and four on the Second. One was napping under the legde and I wrote down the tag number off it's fin to pass along to the turtle people.

The Jew... er excuse me.... Goliath Grouper Were VERY Proliferent. I actually did a little Grouper Rodeo Round up, very low pressure not to be considered molesting, for the out of towners on the boat.

It was a great dive, On a Beautiful day, with a Awesome Captain on a wonderful Boat.. the only way it could have been better would be if I had the luck of Tom Hanks.

I still have to make a trip to Wekki Wachiee.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom