Sea Tiger YO & "The Kitchen Sink"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaAndDreams

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
So,

Yesterday myself, Tim (kidspot from Maui), Tom and Matt dove the Sea Tiger. What a fun dive!

Sea Tiger Pictures from Yesterday....

Tim...

IMG_0050.JPG

Matt...

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

Me...and my Meg :)

IMG_0059.JPG

Pictures courtesy of Tim

Today we dove the YO at first...however myself and Matt brought a new toy along...a side imaging sonar. It is definatley a work in progress, but courtesy of Tom we now have a towfish for it...and are planning on extending the length of the tow cable by quote a bit.

img048.jpg

Sea Tiger Side Scan...

tigersss.jpg

Here is an image of the YO, distortion is due to the fact that it was choppy out today and it was hard to keep the 16' zodiac in a straight line...

yosss.jpg

So...after our surface interval we put the side scan to use and found ourselves a new dive site. We named it "The Kitchen Sink"...mainly because ... well there is a kitchen sink ... amnongst all kinds of other stuff there. It's a small ledge sitting in 90' of water....

It is probably not amongst the quality of a Sea Tiger or YO dive...however when you have dove every "popular" dive site on the island 10+ times ... new dive sites are kind of fun and exciting (to me anyways)...

Side Scan of "The Kitchen Sink" Dive Site...

sinksss.jpg

"Kitchen Sink" Picture....courtesy of Matt...

sink.jpg

Are you using one of the Hummingbird Side scan sonars with the tow-fish? I picked one up for my Zodiac and was wondering it that would work with one.

Fun times all around. It was nice helping Tim out with his ratio deco practice Saturday. I'm sure Tom would like to know that the towfish (more like Ghetto-fish :wink:)has very little if any noticeable wobble to it. At the kitchen sink was also one of the largest eagle rays I've ever seen.

Matt

Last edited:
watch out I just figured out how to record continiously, then take the file off the system, put it on my laptop convert it into a 20k Side Scan playback file and play it back in that software on my laptop....I foresee endless hours of "fun" nearshore Oahu.....I need to buy a fishing pole to kill the time...

Steve send me an e-mail I'll give you the details..

Don't tell me you actually read the manual.

Yeah, I can't wait to see the "viper" in action. The snap shots look pretty interesting, as well as I can see them on my phone.

Tom

It's pretty good. Didn't seem to wobble much at all when I looked at it underwater, although it would definitely benefit from a longer tether. I know it's in the plans, but it would really help to quiet any up and down movement from the rubber ducky. Also, perhaps some stainless bolts are in order? It's already rusting up pretty good. Sherm mentioned that you guys took the time to give it a proper O2 cleaning along with the proper visual inspection...you can never be too careful with these things :wink:

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom