Sea Sickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use Dimenhydrinate 50mg from the Walmart Equate brand. The thing with these meds is you need to start taking them several days BEFORE your boat ride and the days of for them to have any real effect. I have no drowsy effects with this stuff. B.

I'm one of those guys that just doesn't get sick. My wife however does.
My advice first is to try to sit at the "pivot" point of the boat. Thats the part that moves the least. Small boats with outboards usually pivot round the engines.

Big boat, small boat it doesn't matter. On a recent trip I had to lay down flat to feel ok. Next day I was on the meds and the seas were not that bad. Live-aboard idea -OUT. Btw have not eaten bacon since last Christmas when I climbed aboard the boat and breakfast hit the back of my throat ugh Yuk! Bacon was breakfast, still can't stand the smell of it. In fact breakfast on a dive vacation is tough. The Brac coconut bread toast with either jam or pb was a chore. Left lots of room for lunch! Just not hungry in the am, but then I/we snack/drink(a beer or 2) until bedtime. Love staying in villas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If it makes you feel better, nothing works for me. Being on a moving boat is no problem, but when moored or drifting between dives, I invariable feed the fish. Once over it, I am fine and resume diving. This has abated over the last 16 years, but never entirely gone away. I find I get acclimated on a liveaboard after about 24 hours, and hold meals just fine. A little "abomibale abdominal" doesn't need to ruin the dive day, but then, it doesn't really enhance it, either. Here are a few tips: stay away from engine exhaust; sit amidships, not in the bow or stern; stay on the lowest deck space allowed.
DivemasterDennis

Thank you everyone, I think I'll start an OTC med a day or 2 before and try some ginger candies or ginger gum. I was fine until the boat stopped to let all the divers out. Once I got sick, it didn't stop, I barely had anything in my stomach, just that stomach acid coming up again and again it was pretty bad. But I still want to try boat diving again :)

Try other meds...there are several.

I swear by Dramamine (CVS knock off drugstore brand, much cheaper than name brand) and had great luck with it ever time. One hours before I go dive (or night before) and other one before I get on the boat. Never had any issues and always feel good.

The rest is just positioning yourself on the boat in the least rocking spots (dead center) when you aren't needing to be with your gear. Most of us just stand around in the middle of the boat and BS until it's time to dive.

Thank you everyone, I think I'll start an OTC med a day or 2 before and try some ginger candies or ginger gum. I was fine until the boat stopped to let all the divers out. Once I got sick, it didn't stop, I barely had anything in my stomach, just that stomach acid coming up again and again it was pretty bad. But I still want to try boat diving again :)

If none of those work, you sound like a good candidate to take up cave diving...

:wink:

By the way, breakfast coffee and orange juice should be avoided

Big boat, small boat it doesn't matter. On a recent trip I had to lay down flat to feel ok. Next day I was on the meds and the seas were not that bad. Live-aboard idea -OUT. Btw have not eaten bacon since last Christmas when I climbed aboard the boat and breakfast hit the back of my throat ugh Yuk! Bacon was breakfast, still can't stand the smell of it. In fact breakfast on a dive vacation is tough. The Brac coconut bread toast with either jam or pb was a chore. Left lots of room for lunch! Just not hungry in the am, but then I/we snack/drink(a beer or 2) until bedtime. Love staying in villas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Bacon huh???? Try this on for size. Went to a nice respectable joint in down town
Lodi one night years ago for an Arrogant Bastard beer drinking contest. I drank four in just over two hours. Dont remember anything after the third one. I couldn't touch another dark beer for two years after that. And even now the only dark beer i can drink is Amber Bock. Boy did i pay for that one. Good thing for DD's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom