Sea Sickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joy-S

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm a newly Certified Open Water Diver (woo hoo) and have recently discovered that I'm pretty susceptible to sea sickness. I tried Bonine (1 dose the night before and 1 dose an hour prior to the trip) and I still got sick. Granted the seas were 3-5 with an occasional 7-9. (I just ended up with a bad day.) Are there any other over the counter meds, etc. that someone can suggest? I have the opportunity to dive this weekend but I won't see my new doctor until next week so I can't get a prescription patch. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

I have seen some people who swear by the oils you rub behind your ear and others who say the magnets work. I have no experience with either and will be getting a scopalamine prescription before my next trip. There are a couple different variants of the Dramamine/Bonine and one works better for some people than the other does. I think it's the "original" formula but that makes some people drowsy, hence the new formula. I doubled up on my morning of dosage the last time and that helped me.

Thank you. I will check which version I used and maybe try a different one or different dose.

My daughter uses Avomine, one tablet the night before going on a boat and that is it. If boat diving for a few successive days, she just takes one tablet before going to bed at night.

Dramamine 30 min before leaving the dock works for my son. He also spends all his time at sea on deck and keeping his eyes on the horizon. A little wind and sun seems to help as well.

I found that ginger works well for me. I found a bottle of ginger root pills cheap at the drug store and they have worked the best so far. I love boat diving but do not really like boats.......

I have not tried them in the conditions you describe though. But as others said, 1 the night before and 1 when I leave the house before the boat.

Hi Joy!

Sorry you had a bad case of seasickness. What has helped me was not necessarily a drug. I went to the local Asian market picked up some ginger candies took that before hand and put on some wave bands (wrist pressure points). While on the boat I took some real simple things with me because like you I get motion sickness. I took some saltine crackers and ginger ale. Didn't eat anything greasy the night before or the morning of the boat trip. While on the boat I would highly recommend looking at the horizon. You want to look at something stationary when you get that icky feeling. I recommend these little things even to my friend who don't dive. It helps somewhat.

If all else fails. Just hurl you will feel better after. :)

Happy Diving and congrats on the OW!

Sandra

Congrats...used to live in Palm Bay. I don't get sea sick easy, never have but 7-9? That would even get to me on a bad day.
I know nothing about your habits but don't eat a heavy meal before diving. Don't eat a geasy breakfast. Don't get smashed the night before. If you're not doing all the above, try over the counter stuff

I have issues with sea sickness from time to time. I have in my med kit OTC Bonine and Motion Eze (oil for behind your ear). I have ginger pills and ginger gum. I did see the other day a nausea medicine but the active ingredients looked like sugar. Most works okay with moderate seas, but if conditions get rough in heavy seas I've fed the fish. I try not to have too much in my stomach for that reason and avoid heavy greasy foods. I also spend time looking at the size of the boats and bigger boats are slower but less susceptible to the seas. If given a choice I tend to avoid the smaller boat and go for the larger size one.

Back
Top Bottom