Sea-Quest BC (Help)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter once bubbled...
So BP/Wings is so much better than weight integrated that you are willing to wear a weight belt [again?]

Craig

There is an integrated weighting system available for the Halcyon BP/wings. There are also many other alternatives, such as a weight harness, which looks to be one of the better systems out there. So, no, when I switch to BP/Wings, I won't be wearing a weight belt.

Otter once bubbled...
So BP/Wings is so much better than weight integrated that you are willing to wear a weight belt [again?]

Craig

Absolutely no question. Like Aaron said, weight harnesses or Halcyon's ballast system are good alternatives.

In addition, remember that the backplate and a weighted STA can replace the belt entirely in some warm water situations.

I have the SeaQuest and so far I have had no problems. It is just a over a year old at this time. I will def keep an eye out for a hole in the plastic because I much prefer to dump air that way.

I use a 13cuft pony bottle and find it still fits comfortably and wont slide to one side.

Good luck in your purchase..

I've spent a few weekends with the Pro QD+...

In my humble opinion, the Pro QD+ is one of the best BC's I've dove, and one of the top two jacket-style BC's that I wouldn't mind owning. You'll find that the BC is high in quality, has good, usable features, and that there is some truth to what people are saying here... That the pockets are barely usable and that the older style velcro-only ditchable pockets do take some care, lest they release weight when you're not looking.

Personally, I liked very much the dumps and the inflator button, which felt particularly good on this and all other SeaQuest BC's. Even with the Air Source (the intergrated octo) in place, the whole system felt good in my hand and very controllable. I especially liked the way that the inflator hose tucked into the corregated hose, although only for the first few dives. After three or four dives, I felt that the extra "tucking" that needed to be done to get the system together wasn't worth it, and I began to prefer the simpler system like what you'd see on a ScubaPro system.

By the way, I said above that the Pro QD+ was "one of my favorite two jacket-style BC's..." The other would be the ScubaPro Classic Plus. After diving with them both for a while, I preferred the ScubaPro Classic by a slight margin... I preferred the more secure ditchable weights in the ScubaPro, and I preferred the simpler, although not as pretty, system for attaching the inflator hose. I preferred the much better breast pockets in the Classic over the useless Pro QD+ ones, and I preferred the additional right shoulder dump of the Classic. Now, there were effectively TWO pull dumps on this jacket-style BC, appropriate in tandem for extra-quick dumping, or simply as another available dump, in case your other hand is full.

One major difference between these two... The Pro QD+ vs. the Classic, was that the Pro QD+ has an adjustable torso height... Effectively, adjustable straps over the shoulder. The Classic does not have this luxury, but instead allows air to "flow through" the breast area of the jacket, making for an even better and more stable BC. Personally, I preferred the Classic, nonadjustable design, as I appreciated the flow-through design and enjoyed the fact that the adjustment for my shoulders was always correct, and never "pulled open" like it has done for me on the Pro QD+ and all other torso-adjustable BC's. However, this was contingent on the fact that the Classic fit me correctly from the beginning. If I were a bit larger or smaller, then the fit might not be so perfect, and I would have much preferred the Pro QD+'s adjustability to the Classic's flow-through design.

Additionally, ScubaPro has, this year, a new Classic, called the "Classic Air." This new jacket-style BC does away with the corregated hose and now instead places a power inflator button permenantly on the jacket itself. The right pull dump is also forgone for a permanently mounted left-side pull dump. There is also a pocket-kept inflator hose in case you need to manually inflate the jacket at the surface. Frankly, the Classic Air seems like a really great idea, but I'd have to test it first. Pocket-kept gear historically hasn't gotten good reviews.

Meanwhile, like others have said here, the SeaQuest Pro QD+ has had an improvement in the way that the weight pockets attach. They no longer completely rely on velcro alone. That should be a huge improvement.

Keep in mind, though, that while there seems to be a huge market for rental-level jacket BC's, there only seems to be two or three major entries for jacket style BC's that are this nice... The Classic Plus/Air and the Pro QD+. The reason is simple... Typically, people who get into scuba hard enough or serious enough to warrant spending $700+ on a BC have already begun to explore the advantages in back inflation... Namely, getting the air cell off of your chest (and preventing squeeze), better placement of more gear (and more technically-oriented gear), and improved gear-carrying capacity. Many reviews have spoken well about the improved streamlining from back inflates of one sort or another (be them over-the-counter name brand like Scubapro's Knighthawk or the SeaQuest Black Diamond or your professional-grade bp/wings) but counter those advantages with the "face forward" problem that seems to plague back inflates. Just a quick note about those claims... Those problems are created by two things... Moving the inflation to the back of the divers' body, and moving the weight to the front, in ditchable pockets. (Hence, face-forward at the surface.) Going with a jacket-style BC fixes the problem by making the inflation cell go "all around" the diver, making the center of buoyancy and the center of gravity coordinated and neutral. For this reason, many divers enjoy jacket-style BC's.

However, there is another way to correct for the problem... You could put the air cell (the center of buoyancy) on the back of the diver, and simply move the weight (center of gravity) to the back of the diver as well. This would result in the advantage of streamlining and getting the air cell off of the diver's chest, while simultaneously solving the "face forward" problem at the surface. There's a variety of ways to accomplish this, including "keel weights" and moving weight back on the rig by placing weights further back toward the tank. In my experience, this has been the best way to rig myself personally... With the air cell off my chest, but with all of my weight behind me too. That way, I enjoy natural and correct trim while also enjoying the streamlinging of a back-inflate BC.

And the best way I've found to place the weight behind me is to use a backplate and wing. I know, I know... You're sick of hearing it, right?

Well, the backplate itself (assuming you're using a stainless one like most do) is about six pounds. That means that there's six pounds balanced nicely along your back, up high and behind you where it balances your rig nicely... While streamlining you. Weight is often trimmed up by using a certain weight of single tank adapter or other useful accessory. Some who require lots of weight also use a weight belt or ACB pockets (integrated weights) that are far behind the diver and up high.

At any rate... My point is that you'll like the Pro QD+... That and the ScubaPro Classic line are my favorite jackets. But before buying, you may want to spend some more time in varying BC's, including a backplate and wings, to see what you like best. It might surprise you.

It did me.

ProQD+ is an outstanding unit. As a number have said above, the new locking weight system is a vast improvement although after 50 dives with mine I have never had an unintended release of a pouch. The Air2 system has also worked flawless but I have heard that some have had problems. My wife uses the Tusa version and she has never had a problem with hers either.

Considered about 5 different units before buying mine and would buy this unit again. I do not find the pockets difficult to use as compared to other BC's I have used for what that is worth.

Does anyone know if you can convert the "old" units to this "new" system? Would appreciate any comments.

:sharky:
all4diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom