Sea-Quest BC (Help)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roland_C

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Seaquest BC's (pro qd+) weight integrated or Dacor Viper Metal series. LDS has these at very competitive prices. Both only 35$ more than LP.

Anything from SeaQuest is pretty darn good. I've used the ProQD, it's a good unit. If you plan on getting into more technical stuff, as many others will echo you should consider a bp/wing setup or even something like the DiveRite TPII(which is actually my favorite).

Good Luck :D

I have had a ProQd for about 2 years and recently switched to a Zeagle Ranger LTD. While I liked the ProQD, there were two drawbacks one of which has been addressed reasonably well by SeaQuest.

(1) the integrated weight pouches are held in by velcro which wears out over diving because you must release the weight pocket to load/unload your lead. Several of us have ProQD and all of us at one time or another have had a pouch simply fall out while diving. Diving in SoCal with 7mm suits, we are wearing a fair amount of lead....I usually had 8 lbs in each pocket (the max being 10). However, in roug seas in Fiji in November, my dive buddy lost his getting on board and he only had 4 lbs in the pocket. Replacement pouches are around $25 for two....a recent addition to their 'save a dive' kit.

At DEMA, I saw that SeaQuest has added a snap to help support the pockets while still allowing a weight dump with reasonable ease. If you aren't buying thye BC in person, make sure its the new model with the snap.

(2) Since its a jacket style BC, using the pockets is virutally impossible. I have my buoyancy down to the point wear I am usually adding very little air and its still hard to get anything in and out of them.

I guess one additional comment was early on (about 25 dives into the BC), I was using the dump valve this is integrated into the corrugated inflator hose (cable run inside from inflator to valve) and it developed a hole from streching it. I replaced the hose and just don't use the dump valve and have been fine.

Other than that, it fits great....is very comfortable....seems durable, packs reasonably well and is easy to maintain.

I still like my Ranger LTD better, but if you are one who doesn't like back inflation (like my youngest son who now used the ProQD), then the new model should do you just fine.

Craig

The Pro QD+ W/ Surlock (not velcro)W/airsorce, Dacor Viper Metal reg, & suunto mech SPG& vyper dive computer console
999.99 is this a good price? viper any good?

I have a Pro QD and have used it for over 50 dives. My only comment had already been mentioned by someone - the Velco pocket can easily come off for some reasons and I had such experience once. I am lucky because I am a tropical diver wearing 3mm and not wearing huge amount of weight.

Other than that, it is a quite good BC and the lift is excellent to lift me above water comfortably.

Make sure you buy the new version with Surelock.

I used my QD for about 50 dives before switching to a BP/wings.....if you're interested in a used one size XL...;-)

Note that most of my comments here are "tainted" by my conversion to a BP/wings. I switched to the BP because I was looking for a less bulky BC without all the "stuff" (storage pockets, weight pockets, extra straps, etc.) that clutter up the front of many jacket BCs. That being said, as jacket BCs go, I was happy with it.

It is a BIG BC. If you plan to travel with it, it takes up a ton of space.

Weight pockets -- I have the older pockets with just the velcro. I never had one slip out on me, but it is something I was concerned about. I paid special attention to caring for the velcro and making sure the pockets were secured before entering the water.

I found it to be a comfortable BC, but the pockets are (1) massive; and (2) hard to use give the intrusion of the weight pockets and the high position of the zippers. I could fit things in the pockets (back-up light or Halcyon surface marker, for example), but using them underwater with the weight pockets in was somewhat hard. One nice thing about the pockets -- there is a built-in clip sewn into the inside of one of the pockets -- perfect for securing car keys or other gear so that you don't lose anything if you open the pocket underwater.

There are 6 D-rings -- 2 on the shoulders (useless -- too high), 2 at mid-chest level and 2 on the front, bottom of the BC. Those at mid-chest level are sometimes hard to "hit" underwater without looking at them since they are small and the end of the adjustment straps has a plastic ring on it that is usually in the same area. I did find the left mid-chest ring to be the perfect place to clip off my SPG (no console). I could see it without un-clipping the SPG by just looking down. Those at the bottom of the BC are also somewhat hard to "hit" since they are smaller.

Adjustability -- Straps are easy to use and adjust.

Dumps -- 3 -- inflator hose, back right and right shoulder.

Bottom line, as jacket BCs go, it is a solid choice -- well-built, rugged and user friendly. If you are looking for a jacket BC (non-rear-inflate), I don't think you'll go wrong with the Pro QD+.

As for price -- I think my LDS is selling them for about $450-500 the last time I checked.

Hope this helps.

1. You would be well served to check the cumulative prices on leisurepro for htat gear before buying a "combo" someone put together.

you might want to search this board for posts about airsource and other integrated octo/inflator issues.
the best i've heard "how do you dump air on ascent while breathing on that thing"

They divernet (www.divernet.com) for fascinating reg reviews, or rondales Scuba Diving recent reg comparison.

HTH,
Rice

I have a Viper for my octo, I like the fact that there is no 'right side up' with it when sharing air. I've never had to breathe off of it in a real OOA situation, but I take at least a few breaths off of it every dive. In my opinion, it breathes a bit too wet for a primary reg. I don't know if the Viper Metal would be any better. Try to get the LDS to let you try it (and the rest of the gear) in a pool. I can vouch for Suunto, I have a Cobra and SK7 compass, they work great.

Mark

I love my ProQD...I've never had the weight integrated velcro problem and I dive with a drysuit. It is a comfortable BC, very stable in the water and I don't find the pockets too difficult to use.

That being said, I want to switch to a BP/Wings.

So BP/Wings is so much better than weight integrated that you are willing to wear a weight belt [again?]

Craig

Back
Top Bottom